Moving aquarium across room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
For some unknown reason.. ~ grins ~ I think im gonna have to move my ten gallon across the room. i really dont wanta to have to go through the trouble of emptying it... stressing my fish out.. just to move it across one room.. Would it be safe to very -- carefully-- move it full.... x.x would the bottom give out or anything..

not too sure on a ten gallon. I know that the rule is never move a tank with anything in it but a 10gal shouldnt way more than 150lbs full. I still wouldnt try it... maybe someone else will know for sure but my vote is no. Maybe think about emptying the water into a container wiht fish, move tank and the refill.

i know but im just trying to see if there is an alternative to stressin my fishy buddies

I would take out any large rocks and about half the water. Moving it a short distance would then be a two person job. Carry the tank by supporting the bottom frame at all four corners without putting any pressure on the bottom pane of glass, and you should be OK.

no rocks.. just a small (( about 1/4 of an inch )) of gravel. and alot of plastic plants.. plus my big fat molly lol.

another thing you could try to not put any stress on the glass is to move it partially empty with a piece of plywood underneath the help spread the pressure...

I'd pull out all the decorations in the tank, leaving just the gravel, and then siphon into a bucket 2/3 or so of the water. THen move the tank (get someone else to help you) and put back in some of the old water and then some new water.

At only 1/3 full the tank will weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 pounds or so--for most people that weight is probably movable alone, or with a second person should be easy.

One idea

One thing you could do is empty the tank halfway full, Then just carry across. I use to have a ten gallon i had the same problem, I had to move it away from my 20 gal. And the only way i could do this without stressing my fish out was to empty the 10 gal halfway and move it. Just make sure to have 2 people with you because you have to have your partner set up your stand.

Back
Top Bottom