Moving best ways to do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need every detail on moving my tank. So I have a 55g tank. It's planted. My have a decent amount of fish. What's the best way to move my fish and tanks? I know I will need to keep the media wet. Step by step how should I do I this. The move will probably be about 45mins aways. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just used 5 gallon buckets from lowes or Home Depot to transfer the fish plants and filter media. Everything else is common sense. If the tear down or set up is taking a while you can drop a heater in the buckets to keep the water temp up. I've moved all kinds of fish including sensitive discus this way. Moved a 20, 36, 40, 60, and 75 gallon this way before

In for answers. I will be potentially moveing to another apt before the summer is over

I just used 5 gallon buckets from lowes or Home Depot to transfer the fish plants and filter media. Everything else is common sense. If the tear down or set up is taking a while you can drop a heater in the buckets to keep the water temp up. I've moved all kinds of fish including sensitive discus this way. Moved a 20, 36, 40, 60, and 75 gallon this way before

Okay so I would completely empty the 55g and full it up with new water and just re-acclimate the fish? I have prime that I can treat the water with.

In for answers. I will be potentially moveing to another apt before the summer is over

Yeah I'll be moving to an apartment in a week. Up 3 flights of starts ugh. I think I have it kinda planned out but I just wanted to make sure I don't do something to potentially kill my fish.

Okay so I would completely empty the 55g and full it up with new water and just re-acclimate the fish? I have prime that I can treat the water with.

That's what I did, I filled up the new tank, minus a few inches from the top and used prime. Then once the new tank is heated and I have the filters going I poor in all the water and fish from the buckets

Okay that's how ill do it unless someone else chimes in. Did you leave the substrate in your tank when you moved?

I've done it both ways, depends on the size of the tank and depth of the substrate. It's more of a weight thing than anything else. If you can lift it, its fine staying in the tank. The more water you get out of the tank the lighter it will be, remember each gallon weighs 8lbs

My tanks 55g and it probably has 3-2in of gavel

This is exactly what I do also, 5 gallon buckets a heater and if you need to a little air pump.

Sent from in front of my 100

My tanks 55g and it probably has 3-2in of gavel

I would suggest adding 2 3gallon buckets for the substrate and to lighten up the tank, but that's just me (I usually only have my fiancé helping me move stuff haha)

It's always really stressful and sounds like a lot the first time you do it. The second and third time has just been a routine for me

How high did you fill the bucket? And how long did you wait before you put the fish back in to the tank? Did you drip acclimate them?

It's always really stressful and sounds like a lot the first time you do it. The second and third time has just been a routine for me

Hopefully, I'm moving to the apartment next week but I'm only going to stay until august 29th when I move into my new house. And will again move my tank a second time.

It'll be a breeze the second time. The substrate buckets, fill as much as you can. The fish buckets, I filled mine up to about an inch below the rim, with a good lid it's not an issue

I don't have a lid. And I'm worried if I fill the bucket to high 40lbs+ I will shape the bucket too much and stress my fish.

Not sure what bucket you have, they shouldn't lose shape though. Mine didn't and a 5 gallon bucket is supposed to hold, wait for it, 5 gallons. Haha. Also, lids are ~1.50 at the home improvement stores

Yeah I'm not going to get a chance.
I have a 5g Home Depot bucket. It not the bucket I'm worrying about it's the water in the bucket moving too much.

How do I keep my old filter from drying up the good bacteria?

Back
Top Bottom