Moving Dilema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FMJnaX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know it's been answered before, but I need some personal help here...

In about a month, give or take, I will be moving from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Richardson, Texas (or about 800 miles). I'm not sure what to do about my fish. I don't know anyone in town that will take them nor do I want to give them to someone who will just put them in a "goldfish bowl". I've got two 4" goldfish and 1 3" clown pleco. Our move will be at least 2 days, and may even be 3 days, depending on how the truck drives. Here's what I've been thinking of, but I'm not sure if it's alright or not:

I'll buy a small cooler with a lockable lid and fill it with fresh treated water. The fishies will travel in there.
I've got about 15 20oz bottles that I'll clean up. I'm not sure if I should fill them with my home KNOWN water and risk losing some O2 out of it, or just take them and fill them along the way and risk the different water parameters. I'll use these bottles to do water changes along the way to replenish the oxygen.
When we get to our temporary house, I'll set up a 15 gallon tank until we move in to our house (1-2 weeks later), in which I'll set up the 29 gal.

So, what are your thoughts about this? Does anyone have any others suggestions? I'll take all the help I can get!

Thanks!

Only thing I would add is that you can buy a battery operated air pump to help keep enough O2 in the water.

A just fine plan, as amended....our own Menagerie did a similar trip (in a similar manner and a somewhat longer time-frame) with many more fish, and it turned out really quite well, so feel encouraged.

Oh, I forgot about my kinda nested question. Anyone have some ideas (see below for the question)?

Regarding the 20oz bottles, should I fill and treat them from the tap water here so that the params won't be fluctuating too much or should I fill and treat them as we go to ensure freshness?
Thanks!

Definately use a battery powered pump (or get a small inverter for the car) and use your current water - eliminate any potential differences/problems if possible.

Never thought of that id10t. I've got an inverter already so instead of spending $16.00 (cheapest locally) on a battery powered air pump, I'll just go buy a cheap $5.00 one.

I do have some other questions though:
1) Feeding. Should I feed? As a refresher, I have 2 4" goldfish and 1 3" clown pleco. I doubt 2 days would hurt them, but I'm checking anyway.
2) Lighting. Do they need light or is traveling in the cooler with the lid alright? I was thinking maybe I could find some way to make an acrylic top for the cooler I buy if they need the light.
3) Water level. Probably a stupid question, but should I get the water level as high as possible in the cooler? I'm thinking I'd do 3/4 just so I'm not sloshing water all over.

I'll probably have more questions, but that's all I got right now.
Thanks again all!

I moved many years ago with my goldfish in a cooler (fortunately I was too ignorant in those days to have even the slightest concern about the move! Ignorance is bliss :? ) and everything turned out just great. The sloshing around kept the water aerated, unbeknownst to me a very good thing, and it took me several days to get things set up for them. The battery-powered air pump is a wonderful idea and will help a lot.

I would bring along your water with you and do water changes as you go with water that they are accustomed to. If you can get some gallon water jugs that you can fill with the tap water to bring you can mix your old water with your new water to help acclimate them to the new water system once you arrive. I'd guess that the water in Texas will be similar to what you have there in NM.

Do not feed them It will just get the water dirty. I would not feed them for a few days before you leave. Remember no food in thier system means no ammonia being produced.

They will not need light. Im sure you will be opening the cooler to check on them, I know I would be. That will be plenty of light for them.

3/4 full sounds about right to me. You want some airspace in the cooler.

I wouldnt feed them..
I wouldnt worry about the lighting either, a common practice is to shut the lights off durring stress and your going to be moving them in a cooler, I think the no light might be a good thing in this case..
you could always go crazy with the inverter and get an internal filter with your old media in it.. :biglol:

lol greenmagi. I'll pass on the internal filter, even though my inverter will probably handle it (it powers my laptop, phone charger, and AA battery charger).

About the water between here and TX... I'm kind of thinking that it won't be the same. Most water in East Texas (where we're heading) - not quite the Dallas area for now) is lake water (and the ground is mostly red clay) and isn't treated as well as the good mountain water filtered in the big city here. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the pH and whatnot won't change too much.

I've got some very good information and I greatly appreciate each and every one of you for the help!

P.S. - greenmagi and the others that have heard about my 400+ gallon in-wall tank: Obviously this is no longer a go. Luckily we were able to sell out of the house (only 10% built) for this transfer. We'll be looking to build a house when we decide on the final settlement and it will have the in-wall tank. It just means that it has to wait 1+ year. :(

Back
Top Bottom