Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2003, 04:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to minx
Moving fish

I'm moving my Corys over into my new tank tomorrow ... and tips on making things as painless as possible for the fish?

When I first got them they were absolutely manic while the bag was floating in the tank ... it was heartbreaking to see them so distressed ... don't want to upset my little Corys

Old 01-17-2003, 05:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Moving.

Well, moving fish from one environment to another will always have some element of stress to them, but..........
There are chemical alternatives such as Melafix or Stress coat. Doing it with minimal light helps too. Try puncturing little holes in the bag when putting it in the new aquarium. Put some java moss in the bag with the fish, this gives it a place to hide and gives it a level of comfort. When releasing the fish, do not pour out, simply open a hole big enough and allow the fish to exit at own will. Feed the other fish when finally releasing the newcomer, this will keep the others distracted while he gets used to the new tank. Also, make sure that the new tank has a lot of hiding spots for it. Hope this helps.

Old 01-17-2003, 07:34 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Make sure the water parameters are as close as possible between the two tanks.
Logan J
Old 01-19-2003, 07:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, would you believe, not only did the move go swimmingly well, got up this morning and they'd laid eggs in their new tank!!!
Old 01-19-2003, 08:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
Quote:
Try puncturing little holes in the bag
Are you suggesting putting the water from the bag into the tank? Since its from one home tank to another, that's not so bad, but I thought that putting the water from the lfs into the tank at home was a definite no-no.

Those are great ideas.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
mitche8359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 05:37 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
It's OK from one home tank to another. Definitely not a good idea to mix LFS water with the water in your tank. Corys will often spawn when their environment is changed. One way to stimulate spawning with Corys is to take a water can with a sprinkler head on it and pour cool water into the tank. This simulates the rainy season from their natural habitat with surface turbulence and by cooling the water. It will often trigger spawning.
Logan J
Old 01-20-2003, 02:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

They're really frisky little things!

The first time they spawned was after I moved the tank across the room, since then they spawned every couple of weeks till the fungus outbreak. This was the first spawning since.

So, instead of buying some new Corys to make up the numbers in my new tank, I guess I can raise some!

Tags
moving, moving fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com