Moving fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm moving my Corys over into my new tank tomorrow ... and tips on making things as painless as possible for the fish?

When I first got them they were absolutely manic while the bag was floating in the tank ... it was heartbreaking to see them so distressed ... don't want to upset my little Corys :(

Moving.

Well, moving fish from one environment to another will always have some element of stress to them, but..........
There are chemical alternatives such as Melafix or Stress coat. Doing it with minimal light helps too. Try puncturing little holes in the bag when putting it in the new aquarium. Put some java moss in the bag with the fish, this gives it a place to hide and gives it a level of comfort. When releasing the fish, do not pour out, simply open a hole big enough and allow the fish to exit at own will. Feed the other fish when finally releasing the newcomer, this will keep the others distracted while he gets used to the new tank. Also, make sure that the new tank has a lot of hiding spots for it. Hope this helps.

Well, would you believe, not only did the move go swimmingly well, got up this morning and they'd laid eggs in their new tank!!!

Try puncturing little holes in the bag

Are you suggesting putting the water from the bag into the tank? Since its from one home tank to another, that's not so bad, but I thought that putting the water from the lfs into the tank at home was a definite no-no.

Those are great ideas.

It's OK from one home tank to another. Definitely not a good idea to mix LFS water with the water in your tank. Corys will often spawn when their environment is changed. One way to stimulate spawning with Corys is to take a water can with a sprinkler head on it and pour cool water into the tank. This simulates the rainy season from their natural habitat with surface turbulence and by cooling the water. It will often trigger spawning.
Logan J

They're really frisky little things!

The first time they spawned was after I moved the tank across the room, since then they spawned every couple of weeks till the fungus outbreak. This was the first spawning since.

So, instead of buying some new Corys to make up the numbers in my new tank, I guess I can raise some!

Back
Top Bottom