Moving fish between different pH levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reberly

Aquarium Advice Freak
We have one leopard danio in our 12 gal tank that seems to be doing well in the high pH water. But I have another 5 gal tank that's been running (fishless) for 5 days. I'd like to move the danio to my new tank before the cichlids get him. The problem is, the big tank has a pH of like 8.2 and the new tank (using bottled water) has a pH of under 7. Is there ANY possible way I could move this fish without stressing him and/or killing him?? I was thinking if I had a third container I could move him (with water from the high pH tank) into it and slowly add distilled water to bring the pH down, but i don't have a third container. Surely moving him over would kill him immediately right? I do NOT want this to happen. Any suggestions?

P.S. I want to keep the smaller tank soft and slightly acidic because it's going to be stocked with neons.

Thanks all!

Ryan

I would think you could take the same precautions as when bringing fish home from the LFS. Try to match the two tank temperatures as much as possible before doing this.

Put the fish in a container (i.e. bag, tupperware, etc...) containing the tank water he is currently living in. Then, over the course of an hour, add a small amount of the new tank water into the container the fish is in. I get a cup and dump in about half a cup of water every 15 minutes when I bring home a fish.

no offense Biggen

None taken. We all have different opinions. That way will take a little more time to do but we should all know by now that nothing comes fast in the fish hobby.

The method I use has worked well for me when I bring home my bagged fish. I actually read about it over on http://fins.actwin.com/. That site is great for all skill levels. If you have never gone over there, check it out. It is right up there with the Krib.

Keep in mind the newer small tank is only been running for 5 days with only Stress Zyme in it to help jumpstart the bacteria... I feel like this danio isn't going to survive though if I don't move it soon. I think I'm going to try it tomorrow on my day off but not until after I check here.

You guys and gals are the greatest :)

Ryan

The article D9 mentioned may be better, but I do it the same way Biggen does, done it for years now, never any fatalities.

I think the drip method may be more important for SW fishies.

Either way is far better than just floating the bag for 20 minutes and dumping the fish in, like they used to tell me at the lfs :roll: :roll:

Back
Top Bottom