Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 67
Question Moving fish from 1 tank to another, what should i do?

Hey,
I going to be moving my african cichlids from my old 47 gallon tank to another used tank that i purchased from someone off craigslist. The used tank is about 125 gal. I was just wondering what the correct process would be to safely move the fish without the risk of casualties/death.

For example should i fill the 125 g with some of the water from my old 47 g?

Thanks in advance
__________________

__________________
Matman1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alberta canada
Posts: 2,360
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Make sure the new tank is cycled and safe for fish, get all the rock, decor, plants or whatever else ready. Once its cycled then it's a matter of acclimating the fish. I would use ziplock bags or something similar and float them. Only do a few at a time and then wait at least a few days to a week for your bb to catch up to the load. Then repeat with a few more. once everyone is in there re-aquascape it to remove territories, this may have to be done with each batch of fish moved over to minimize aggression towards the newcomers.
__________________

__________________
kdpuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
LyndaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,817
I presume you have a larger filter to accommodate the larger tank. Hang it on the back of your existing tank, or put the new filter media in beside the existing while you're working on the 125 to get it set up. The water column itself isn't a great source of beneficial bacteria. It doesn't hurt to have the water in addition to the seeded media, but the water itself won't cycle your tank.

Also, with a CL purchase, you're going to want to be certain the tank doesn't leak, so you'll need time to fill it and observe prior to fish transfer.
__________________
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
I presume you have a larger filter to accommodate the larger tank. Hang it on the back of your existing tank, or put the new filter media in beside the existing while you're working on the 125 to get it set up. The water column itself isn't a great source of beneficial bacteria. It doesn't hurt to have the water in addition to the seeded media, but the water itself won't cycle your tank.

Also, with a CL purchase, you're going to want to be certain the tank doesn't leak, so you'll need time to fill it and observe prior to fish transfer.
Yes the used tank came with a used fluval fx-5. Should i hook this up to my old tank even though its been used with 125g tank?

Would i need to replace all the foam pads/filter media in the fx-5 before i hooked it up to my old tank?

How long should the fx-5 run on my old tank?
__________________
Matman1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
LyndaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,817
The new filter has not been kept in an established tank, right? Was the filter media dry when you picked it up? If so, then you really need new media.

If it were me, I would've bought all new media anyway, not knowing how someone I don't know keeps their tank.

I suggest leaving the new media alongside the old for a minimum of 2 weeks, but longer is better.

Basically, you have to cycle the tank from scratch. Keep that in mind. Monitor your readings carefully. If you are just keeping the same fish for a while, then the bacteria should be okay. Are you tearing down the existing tank once the move is done? If so, just take that filter and hook up alongside the new one on the new tank for a while til the bacteria has a chance to balance out.
__________________
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
The new filter has not been kept in an established tank, right? Was the filter media dry when you picked it up? If so, then you really need new media.

If it were me, I would've bought all new media anyway, not knowing how someone I don't know keeps their tank.

I suggest leaving the new media alongside the old for a minimum of 2 weeks, but longer is better.

Basically, you have to cycle the tank from scratch. Keep that in mind. Monitor your readings carefully. If you are just keeping the same fish for a while, then the bacteria should be okay. Are you tearing down the existing tank once the move is done? If so, just take that filter and hook up alongside the new one on the new tank for a while til the bacteria has a chance to balance out.
Technically i havnt puchased the tank/filter yet. But this is going to be a strong probability so i want to know what i should do to cycle the 125 g correctly. The filter that comes with the 125 g has been used and established on the 125 g.

Maybe i should buy a sponge filter to hook up to my old tank so i can transfer it to the 125 g.
__________________
Matman1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
LyndaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,817
I may be wrong as I've never used a sponge filter but I always thought of them as being used for small tanks like fry tanks.

Does this person have the 125 gallon stocked and running right now?
__________________
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 168
Once your sure the new tank doesn't leak & it's clean. Fill it get your water parameters (temp,PH,KH & GH) the same. Don't forget the declor. Siphon out the old substrate (clean it in the old water as best you can). Put it in the new tank with your rocks & things. Let it settle a bit. If you want to put some of the old water in. use the old seeded filter at frist. Put all the fish in.
A few months ago. I put 30 Hap/Peacock mix,11 Clown loachs.9 yel labs & 8 cats in a clean 180 gal. I added seeded bio balls & crushed coral to my sump. PS All small fish not that it matters.
__________________
chagoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matman1110 View Post
Technically i havnt puchased the tank/filter yet. But this is going to be a strong probability so i want to know what i should do to cycle the 125 g correctly. The filter that comes with the 125 g has been used and established on the 125 g.

Maybe i should buy a sponge filter to hook up to my old tank so i can transfer it to the 125 g.

A large hydro sponge filter works great.
__________________
chagoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by chagoi View Post
A large hydro sponge filter works great.

PS Don't use the filter that comes with it. Who knows whats in it.
__________________

__________________
chagoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
125 gallon, african cichlids, fish, moving, moving fish, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article: What You Should Know About Fish Nutrition Fishguy2727 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 02-01-2012 09:41 AM
If a tank is placed next to a wall, with very dim light, will the fish go blind? Temp Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 8 09-20-2011 12:29 PM
cycling 20 gl - nitrate problems in 75 gl, 10 gl LeAnne Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 1 08-05-2011 10:25 AM
Saltwater Tank Dream/Journey Hatterz Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 11 07-15-2011 11:40 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Aquarium News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Aquarium News in your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]