moving fish tank. help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laur94x

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've just moved out of my parents house into my own flat which means now I need to move my 2 fish tanks. A 36 gallon and a 33 gallon :s oh and its a second floor flat! Lol. Meaning 5 small flights of stairs :s

I plan on moving the 36 gallon first, problem is, that's the heaviest one obviously, with a heavier stand, stupidly heavy sand and more fish! :s soooo.. Where do I start?? Lol. We only have one car and its not very big so I can't fit the tank and stand in at the same time, meaning 2 trips per tank.

What do I do with the fish when I'm moving stuff?? I have 5 guppies, 5 rosy tetra, 3 cories and a bn pleco. I plan on going to my LFS to get some of the plastic bags used to transport fish. Can my bn pleco go in a plastic bag? I got her from a friend, transported in a box, so I don't know what they got her home in. I have a spare 70 litre tank at my parents so I'm thinking I could put the fish into there tonight with their filter and heater, then empty their tank (I'm going to take 25 litres of their current tank water with me but I only have 1 25 litre container so will have to get rid of the rest), transport the stand, then the tank, fill it at the new flat and then come back to parents, bag up the fish and bring them to the flat.
Does this sound like itd work? Is there an easier way of this? Lol. Will putting my filter into the 70 litre tank kill off the good bacteria? Ill put their tank water from the 138 litre into the 70 litre with them. This is not going to be fun :( lol.

When I moved I used buckets with an airstones in them. Saves bags and they can hang in a bucket for awhile. My fish were in buckets for 4 hours in 30 degree weather and even my angelfish survived.

Back
Top Bottom