Moving fish to the other side of the country - Advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry I have not had time to reply to the many great posts made here recently. I have been pretty busy. I will make a detailed post soon.

Keep the comments coming please. I am still looking for the best solution.

Mailing obviously wont work because it is getting real cold up here right about now.

Best,
Joe

how do you think they fly fish from the amazon to ohio for me? you think they only do it from may-september? or the supplier sites that sell fish year round, you think they let their orders get backed up until its warm?

even if your flying in the mid of a heat wave of july, the cargo compartments still get bitter cold, they have hot and cold packs for flying fish.

most shipping services like Fed-Ex handle live cargo like plants and fish and keep their cargo planes heated. In fact, the planes they use to transport most cargo are open from cockpit to tail, big hollow air-trucks.

they are ambient temperature thru the entire plane.

Also, should you consider this option (which is likely less stressful on the fish than a car trip across country), pack your fish in a cooler. You can even add temperature regulating hot/cold bags to the cooler. Works like a thermos..keeps the temp stable longer.

Shipping may seem cruel to you, but think of it this way:

Shipping overnight: 24-48 hours in a bag.
Driving across country: 5-10 days in a bag/box/tub/1/2full tank

Which would be more stressful for you or say a dog or cat? one short trip or a very long one?

FishyPeanut said:
most shipping services like Fed-Ex handle live cargo like plants and fish and keep their cargo planes heated. In fact, the planes they use to transport most cargo are open from cockpit to tail, big hollow air-trucks.

they are ambient temperature thru the entire plane.

Also, should you consider this option (which is likely less stressful on the fish than a car trip across country), pack your fish in a cooler. You can even add temperature regulating hot/cold bags to the cooler. Works like a thermos..keeps the temp stable longer.

Shipping may seem cruel to you, but think of it this way:

Shipping overnight: 24-48 hours in a bag.
Driving across country: 5-10 days in a bag/box/tub/1/2full tank

Which would be more stressful for you or say a dog or cat? one short trip or a very long one?

Again, I must apologize that I do not have the time to respond to everyone's posts at this present moment. However, this above quoted post is very interesting to me.

Is any one able to verify that FedEx does regularly handle live cargo and that their planes are in fact temperature regulated? If that is the case, looks like I can relax -it's FedEx (LOL I had to say it :p ).

Lastly, is there any link someone can provide me with that will tell me more about these temperature regulating 'hot/cold packs'? I have never heard of them and, being an engineer, have a hard time imagining how they would work. Obviously it's a chemical reaction of some sort but honestly, what the heck? Anyway, a link would be greatly appreciated.

I might just contact FedEx within the next week or two to discuss this issue with them. If/when I do I'll be sure to update this thread and let everyone know what they say. That would be so cool if FedEx REALLY works the way that FishyPeanut described.

Thanks again everyone. Once again, I am still wide open for ideas so please keep your wonderful comments coming. I am trying to put together a master plan which would be executed in roughly two to three months time (IF I get the job ;-) )

Best to all!

Joe

As far as I know, nothing FedEx is temperature regulated. The planes aren't really open front to back stacked with boxes. Each package goes into a cargo container that is shaped just like the inside of the plane (with half of the width of the plane).

I would just call FedEx Express and see. I'm sure that the people would be more than happy to answer your questions.

First off, I am just getting started, it's been over twenty years since my last aquarium. Thanks to everyone for all the great advice.

Now to the point, I have worked for FedEx and now I work for a passenger airline. Every plane has a heated cargo compartment so shipping pets by air is not a problem. FedEx will not accept pets for shipment (unless your a zoo). I would use which ever airline is in your area (probably Air Canada) and see what kind of cargo service they have. We offer flight specific shipments, mostly for dog and cat breeders and a lot of fish from Florida, but also some personal pet shipments. You pick the flight you want you fish to depart on and you will know exactly when they will arrive. If you had the time you could even be on the same plane as they were (except you would have a seat up top and they would be down below). You will pay a premium for this service but it is better than the post office since you will know their schedule just as you would if they were a passenger.

This way you can set up a new tank, have someone ship them (or fly back and do it yourself), meet them at the airport when they arrive, transfer them to your new tank, and have happy fish.

Here is a link to AC Air: http://www.aircanada.com/cargo/en/products/document/acexpedair_can.pdf

Hope this helps.

Trilogy said:
First off, I am just getting started, it's been over twenty years since my last aquarium. Thanks to everyone for all the great advice.

Now to the point, I have worked for FedEx and now I work for a passenger airline. Every plane has a heated cargo compartment so shipping pets by air is not a problem. FedEx will not accept pets for shipment (unless your a zoo). I would use which ever airline is in your area (probably Air Canada) and see what kind of cargo service they have. We offer flight specific shipments, mostly for dog and cat breeders and a lot of fish from Florida, but also some personal pet shipments. You pick the flight you want you fish to depart on and you will know exactly when they will arrive. If you had the time you could even be on the same plane as they were (except you would have a seat up top and they would be down below). You will pay a premium for this service but it is better than the post office since you will know their schedule just as you would if they were a passenger.

This way you can set up a new tank, have someone ship them (or fly back and do it yourself), meet them at the airport when they arrive, transfer them to your new tank, and have happy fish.

Here is a link to AC Air: http://www.aircanada.com/cargo/en/products/document/acexpedair_can.pdf

Hope this helps.

First off, WELCOME TO AA!! :D

Second, thanks alot for the information! It's good to now be in contact with someone on "the inside" ;-)

For the record if I choose to ship with an Airline (which I am 99.99% positive will be the case) the company will most definitely be Air Canada. That being said, are you 100% sure that all of the cargo areas are heated (including the dash8 turboprop, airbus and 'jetliner' models)? On that note, what about when the cargo is being changed form plane to plane? Do you think that the staff would appreciate the needs of the cargo they are transporting and try to keep it indoors at all times or is this all stuff I should be talking to Air Canada about when arranging my flight?

I'm sure I'll have a couple more questions for you so would you mind if I sent you an AA PM? I would ask more now but I am at work and have very limited time to complete my posts here on AA.

Lastly. If you were in my situation would you trust Air Canada with your fish? What steps would you, being an airline employee who knows how the 'system' works from an insider point of view, approach this situation?

I really appreciate your help and thanks for registering just to make that post. That says alot and I really really appreciate it! Thanks so much! :D

Best,
Joe

Do the Dash-8 have a temperature controlled cargo area? I would say yes, but that is just an educated guess, not 100% sure since I don't work with that type of aircraft - I would ask the airline. I am sure that all Boeing, Airbus, Mcdonald Douglas, and CRJ are. Also packaging is regulated by the International Air Transport Association - call their cargo dept. to get the details on how to package. You probably don't want to seal the box completely until at the airport - they will want to inspect it and will open it anyway. I would trust most workers to handle them gently if they are well labeled as to whats inside. Most of us do care and if we know it is a pet it is well taken care of.

PM's are always welcome. That way I can answer all your questions without rambling on and filling this thread.

Good luck with you travels...

Back
Top Bottom