Moving GSPs/Cichlids to bigger tanks checklist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWmom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm moving Gimlet & Absinthe from a 20g long, 1.012 brackish, to a 45g established African Cichlid tank. Both tanks read the same in water testing, all good, of course the Ph reads higher for the brackish water. I'm planning to do the following steps, and want to know if I'm on the right track:

1. Move out cichlid filters (I double filter capacity with two filters on each tank) & decor/plastic plants to help cycle a new 60g freshwater cichlid tank.

2. Move cichlids when water tests are stable.
---
3. Stir up sand & vacuum to clean 45g, and change out 50% (?) of old water. (Not really sure if old cichlid water is worth saving.)

4. Add marine salt to 1.012 all at once, because the brackish filter bacteria is already established (?)

5. Move brackish filters to 45g tank to establish brackish bacteria.

6. Move GSPs when water tests are stable.

7. Stir up sand & vacuum to clean the brackish water sand, to add to the 45g. (For added brackish bacteria and just to add more sand to the tank.)

As you can see, I'm not confident in steps 3 to 7, so any experienced advice would be appreciated.

Photo is in 1.008 brackish water. No more real plants in 1.012! IMG_1480331391.193288.jpg

Well, I had no replies here, but I got to ask a marine biologist to affirm my plan, so I went with it. Over a week's time I got to step 6. A week went by to make sure the water tested correctly. Around the 12th day, the tests (API strip & API liquid tests for ammonia & nitrite when I started noticing a very slight nitrite read.) So I began water changes and dosing Prime daily. Mind you, I had a C4 and an AC70 running for those 12 days, the AC70 was seeded from a fully cycled brackish 20g tank, so I was more than hoping there wouldn't be a problem. I was getting worried that the tests weren't getting better this third week. The puffers were lathargic, but still eating a bit. Finally, 24hrs ago, I put in Top Fin Bacteria Supplement as directed, while transferring a final seeded AC30 to the cycling tank. Running the THREE filters and adding the supplement, after 24hrs, I came home to a crystal clear tank with lively green puffers! I was weary about the additive, but Even though it may have been coincidence that the cycle just kicked in with the help of the third filter, my takeaway lesson is that a little of everything may have helped, so I'll be more comfortable using a supplement if (heaven forbid) I need to cycle a new tank! Best photos taken at night, so puffers are sleeping.
IMG_5939.JPG

Forgot to mention, my cichlids move was so smooth! Their seeded media from the C4 was moved to a new Fuval canister system on the 60 gallon tank. I only added an inexpensive submersible Top Fin filter 40g with spray bar for circulation and backup. In the same three weeks, the water has been clear and water tests exactly the same as their previous environment. So the other takeaway was that, had I not purchased the C4 and already had two other HOB filters, a canister system is the way to go on these big messy tanks. I never even see any debris to vacuum anymore!IMG_5811.JPG

When you where running the 2 filters for 12 gays it sounds like they lost some of the BB due to no bioload. You could have added some fish food during that time to keep it cycling. When the Puffers where added you had a mini cycle going. You could have set up the canister on the new tank without the media initially to clear the tank and set the salt level, then move the other filter/media and fish over for an instant cycle.

When you where running the 2 filters for 12 gays it sounds like they lost some of the BB due to no bioload. You could have added some fish food during that time to keep it cycling. When the Puffers where added you had a mini cycle going. You could have set up the canister on the new tank without the media initially to clear the tank and set the salt level, then move the other filter/media and fish over for an instant cycle.

I believe you are correct! To clarify my procedure though, the canister went on the new 60g. with cichlids' seeded media. I didn't get a canister for the brackish puffer 45g tank. The new-ish C4 HOB was used in first 12 days with seeded brackish media. I definitely recommend your recommendations to anyone who comes searching for answers. Will also be on the lookout for a blowout sale at some point to replace the 3 HOB's running now.

Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom