Moving houses and tanks, logistics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lazlo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 29 gallon tall tank. 4 fancy guppies, 3 black skirt tetras, 1 dwarf gourami, 12 neon tetras, and 1 pleco. Moving to a new house, and moving fish into a 55 gallon. I'm using the same outfit as the 29g, and moving EVERYTHING over to the 55g. FIlter, gravel, heater, deco, and fish, just new tank/lights. The move is about 20-30mins away, and I have accesss to the place, well now. Just wondering what the best moving procedure would be, and given that I've just finished a bad in fish cycling situation, will I have to go through that again? Can I just put the fish in one bucket, haul the gravel in an other, and set everything up when I get there? Or should I get the new tank going first(this would only be 1-2 days) and leave the existing tank with no filter/heater/gravel before I move the fish?e

I moved my lot from a 16g to a 50g, I just put all in from the 16 to the 50, old filters, noodles, same water and substrate went from one to the other and it was cycled immediately, so you need to move your new tank first to the new house empty, I had some 5 gallon drums with screw on tops, just concentrate on moving your 29g in what ever you can, you need all your old water, filter stuff, substrate, etc. leave your substrate in the old tank with some water so it's liftable, and of you go, transfer all to 55g when you arrive...........

The first thing I wood do is test the water at the new place to make sure it's the same as the old one. Im on city water and my buddy ten minutes away is on the same, but we have totally different parameters from the tap. Then the next best thing IMO would be to figure out where the new one is going, set it up, and fill it halfway to make sure it's level, then drain it out. Go back to the old place and package up ALL the stuff (including water) into 5 gal buckets. Most importantly is to keep the filter media WET !!! That's where all the good stuff is and if it dries, you'll lose it. Bring it all to the new place, start with the gravel, then the old water, then the fish. Add dechlorinator and then top off with new water of the same temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Back
Top Bottom