Moving...how to transfer fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vegababy27

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, I need some advice on how to properly move my fish. I have a 20 gal. tank with 5 fish. The move will be appx 6 hours driving. I'm not sure just how to go about transporting my fish though. I know I'll end up losing most of their tank water, so how can I make restarting their tank less stressful? And how can I transport them in a vehicle while maintaining enough oxygen to keep them all alive?

For transporting the fish, you could put them in a bucket and oxygenate the water with a battery operated air pump. You can find these at WALMART in the fishing section of the store because the are normally used by fishermen to keep their baits alive. I've used them before when our power was out for 36 hours due to Hurricane Frances and the batteries lasted for about 14 hours before I had to change them out. Also just bring the rest of the tank water with you in rubbermaid containers or buckets so you won't lose any of your water. :)

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!!

Blazeherd gave some good advice... put your fish in a bucket with a lid, and keep the water oxegenated and transport the rest of the water in other buckets or rubbermaid tubs (with lids)

Make sure to keep the gravel and plants moist so the beneficial bacteria doesn't die

as far as the moving. i had a SW tank and i moved about 15 mins away. what i did is i got a 25 gal bucket lined it with a bag, poured in oh about 75-80% of the water moved my tank (light enough to carry by then) and when i got to new location i just added the water from the bucket back into my tank. Nothing was harmed during the move. I'm pertty sure that would work for FW also. hope that helps

I just wanted to point out, that since its 6 hours away, the plan that Cjazinski said will work, however you, like mentioned before, need an airstone running =o)

20 gallon is easy though, lower the water level to about 30% and a man should be able to carry it with gravel still in the tank. Use an airstone, and then once you get where you are going just fill the tank like a water change and turn on everything.

I wouldn't advise moving it in the tank. You risk damaging the tank. Better off to dismantle it. I moved about an hour away with my tank and everything went just fine transporting them in a container. I didn't use an airstone but you should. You can get battery-operated ones at any petstore.

I just when through the same problem a week ago. Moved a tank about an hour away. I just used a big cooler with an air pump and air stone.

Make sure to bring some fish bags to so you can acclimate them in the new setup and local water (and using water from the cooler).

Make sure to keep the filter media wet (in a bag of tank water).

If you can find a pack of Bio Spira locally i would also throw in a pack of that to be safe.

Look at walmart's battery-operated air pumps because they are much cheaper (about $6) compared to the ones at a fish store (from $10-$15).

Back
Top Bottom