Moving in a month, looking for tips to move the aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pstuder33

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I'm moving in with the girlfriend in a month and have never had to move an aquarium. It's a 29 gallon stocked with a pearl gourami, an opaline gourami, 7 neon tetras, a clown pleco, and a african dwarf frog. No live plants. There's a HOB filer and I also have a sponge filter. The tank has been up and running for about 5 months and all my water parameters are stable. I'm worried when I move everything is going to go out of whack! Any advice is much appreciated!!!!

Most fish stores will help and give you bags. The main thing is keep the filter media wet with water from the aquarium (and the rocks too) to keep the bacteria colonies alive. I suggest bagging the fish and then buckets with covers or coolers for as much of the water as you can.

When we moved our 55g that is what we did. We were able to keep like 1/3 or so of the water and everyone was ok and no bloom/cycle

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it is a far move check the new tap water parameters too just to see if it is close to yours. If not I also suggest if you have empty containers even like washed soda bottles/milk jugs fill it with your tap water and bring it with you so you don't get like a huge PH difference or something.

Ahhhh, that's a really good idea, I would never thought of putting the water in a cooler! Perfect. Thank you very much

I have moved my 55G twice. I just put all the decorations, plants, and fish in 5 gallon buckets. When the buckets got to the new location i added an air pump to keep some movement while I setup the rest. I moved the 55G with the sand still in and maybe a couple inches of water, up stairs once and then down the stairs next time. A strong confident partner is needed. I saw some 5 gallon cooler inserts, they sat in the bucket so you could carry it around, top included.
+1 to checking new municipal water and taking current water if needed.
I only saved what water was left in the tank and 2) 5 gallon buckets

If you don't have access to the new water source most states have links to their reports on the water - not exactly the same stuff we would look for for aquariums but it might give little details on what they add/don't add

I'm moving relatively close, but yes, I will test tap water at the new location. My current water is very soft and the ph has gotten crazy on me before so I use a stabilizer to keep it at 7 by seachem

I move to Ohio to Maine and back to Ohio. I teach, so I summer in Maine. A 2 day trip.

It is not practical for me to move water or substrate. I have never had a problem setting up a new tank and I have been doing this for 15 years. I do not know if it is luck or what.

Mind you this is an extreme move.

I bring my fish and decorations. All decorations are dried out, all filters are dried out.

My fish are in buckets as stated above, when in a hotel, they are hooked up with air lines.

The water in the bucket is 1/3 tank water and 2/3 clean, new water. I have to assume there is enough bacteria in the water from the bucket to start a new tank when I am home. You have to realize bacteria multiply exponentially, so in no time your bacteria count will be in healthy numbers.

I have 40+ fish, most of mine are 6+years old. During that time, I only had 1 fish die due to the move, but he was very old and I assumed the stress combined with age did him in.

Awwwww Maine! Grew up in Bath. My family still lives there :)

I have my house in Old Town, been here since 2000 and Love it. Now I just summer up here, getting ready to go back next week to Ohio. I hate leaving, Maine is so beautiful but no decent jobs.

Yeah! That's the only thing keeping us from moving back there! My mom has had the same job since she turned 18 and it isn't that she loves it but the fact there isn't anything out there that pays very well.

Well I would get a bucket for the fish... Make sure you keep the filter pads/rocks wet, otherwise you'll end up killing all helpful bacteria.

The move went alright! Tank has been up and running for 24 hours with collateral damage! Thanks for all the advice guys.

Awesome! It's kinda nerve wracking. I've moved and moved tanks a few times but I always get nervous!

Back
Top Bottom