Moving Larger Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richiestang_78

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I decide to take my Iridescent Shark to the LFS so he can live in a larger aquarium there. The only problem if Ive never moved a fish of his size and the bags I keep from the LFS arent big enough. My question is should I use a large Zip Lock bag or a plastice container? Hes about 5 inches maybe 6 and the largest fish I moved was only about 3. I feel bad for getting rid of him but hes out grown my tank and would surely be better off in there larger one.

Go to the lfs that you are taking him to and ask for the largest fish bag that they have. I would avoid zip lock or containers if at all possible.

In a ziplock bag I would be afraid he could be smushed even if you use a big one. That is because you cannot fill it with air to make it nice and round and the bags are made pretty flat.

In a container he could fly against the container wall if you have to brake hard with your car. They container walls will not give like the soft fish bags.

If you take a bucket (3-5 gal) and place a sinking object in it (it doesn't have to be too heavy or too large) and shake the bucket you will see the object barely moves. Fish will not move much either.
When I have moved large fish, the last being a 8-10" pleco, he traveled in style in his own bucket for many days as we moved and then he did it again 6 months later. I would recommend a bucket (one you only use for fish and your tanks) since it will be a relatively short ride to the LFS. Unless the bucket goes flying across the car when you hit your brakes, any fish will be fine. I have also used a bucket when transporting a Jack Dempsey to the LFS since he was no longer welcome in my tank. That was a twenty minute ride and he hid under a large piece of lace rock I put in the bottom of the bucket. Never use a ziplock, as they can leak or worse--not seal properly.

You need to use something dedicated to your fish. You want no chance of soap or any cleaning product on the transportation container.

Richie, I don't think washing w/o soap is good enough for fish. You need something that NEVER has been in contact with soap. You might use a plastic bag placed in the tupperware container. Then you have the solid shape of the container and absolutely no contact with soap by using a plastic baggie.

My 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom