moving my sailfin molly and his girl from a 10g to a 20g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itskatieebaby23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone! I've decided today's the day that I'm going to move slick and his girl to a 20g long tank. They have between living in their 10g planted tank for over a year and I think they are big enough for a larger tank. I just did a 40% water change in my 20g long tank and it it's waiting for fish to be added.
I am going to add:
~three small cory catfish; one albino, one red tailed albino, and one gold line
~one 2 1/2in koi angel fish
~two platies; one Sunburst, and one green
~two neon tetras
~two Moscow fancy guppies
~two mollies(slick and his girl); one orange and black sail fin, and one creamsicle
I have taken in my water for testing in all of my tanks and they said everything looks fine. I will take it in again since I just did a water change.

Any advice on making my mollies more at home in their new tank once I put them in? Is my stock okay?

Attachments

• IMG_20150321_161436.jpg
    IMG_20150321_161436.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 57
You need to add more tetras, and also more corydoras and only one kind. Both of those fish need at least a group of 5 to school with.

An angelfish is too big for a 20 gallon.

You'll need to add another female molly or you male will pester your female to death.

With all of those considerations your tank will be quite heavily stocked, but it'll be good as long as you keep up with maintenance.

Add the mollies when the lights are out; keep everything dim while you move them. Bright lights add to the stress.

Last edited:
This would be a better stock.

3 mollies (1 male 2 female)
6 Cory cats (1 species)
10 neon tetras

I think this would be good. Any more would probably be overstocked.

I would get another rife male and skip the angel. Also cories like to be with their own type, so I would get one of the variants you mentioned instead of all three

Problem is I've tried to get another female for slick. . He rejects other females and chases them away. He seems to only accept the creamsicle molly for some reason.
My cory cats school pretty well, always swimming together and staying by each other's side. They love each other. C: I also like the variety. So I will defiantly keep my corys how they are.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also slick doesn't bother his girl much at all

Problem is I've tried to get another female for slick. . He rejects other females and chases them away. He seems to only accept the creamsicle molly for some reason.
My cory cats school pretty well, always swimming together and staying by each other's side. They love each other. C: I also like the variety. So I will defiantly keep my corys how they are.

When I didn't know that cories were schooling fish, I had like 6 different species (1 of each). They 'hung out' but I doubt they were truly happy. You might think your cories are happy but they can't speak.

When I didn't know that cories were schooling fish, I had like 6 different species (1 of each). They 'hung out' but I doubt they were truly happy. You might think your cories are happy but they can't speak.

I agree with this sentiment. I've seen first hand the difference between 6 different corydoras and 6 of the same. I had 5 in my 20 gallon until a power outage over the winter, and the 2 that remain act much more like when I had one of a few species than they did when I had 5 of the same.

I can't part with these cories and have no room for more. .

They are in other tanks at the moment

Back
Top Bottom