Moving - Need Advice on Tank Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stretch

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm going to be moving to Houston in less than a week. I'll be driving my truck hauling a U-haul trailer behind it. What should I do with my tank? I'm thinking I should drain as much water as possible using the Python, remove and clean the fake plants, filter, and all fixtures, and leave the sand in the bottom. It will probably be a few weeks before I can set it up at my new house. Will it hurt anything if the sand is sitting wet for a few weeks? I've never done this before, any advice is much appreciated.

The sand will be fine. I've done this without any consequences.

What size tank is it?

What I would do, and plan to do within the next few months, is to take water from my 55 gallon tank and fill 4 CLEAN 5 gallon buckets with the water. I will then drain my tank after taking out my fish and bagging them and move it to the new location. I will have my emptied out 10 gallon tank filled with the bags of fish so that they are easy to transport. Then just dump the 20 gallons of water into the tank and head off to the lfs to buy 25-30 gallons of RO/DI water.

It is a 29 gallon tank.

It may be sitting for a few weeks with wet sand in it. This is what I was concerned about. Thanks for the help, guys.

Myabe keep some water in the tank, a thin layer over the sand, so that it doesn't dry out and kill the beneficial bacteria. You should be fine if you don't though.

Back
Top Bottom