Moving...now how do I get the fish there with me!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RWaltman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I'm moving...I'm moving about 2 hours away and currently have a 29 gallon tank with a bichir, 2 angels, a knife fish and some other small fish. Now that the bichir and angels and knife have begun to mature and grow I've decided to move to a bigger tank. I've bought a 55 gallon to transfer these guys into. My main concern is the bicher, angels, and knife and I'm hoping to build a nice planted aquarium around them (the 29 is planted as well). Now, my idea is to get the 55 set up and cycled at the new place, then transfer the fish there. Now, how hard is it going to be to transfer these guys? Is there anything special I should do about bagging them up? Or does anyone know of any other effective way to transport them by car? I'm really worried about the stress it will cause to the fish...any ideas? I'm just concerned about my fish...any tips would be great...thanks.

Honestly, i have found that a 5 gallon bucket half filled from water from your tank witht he fish in it works just fine. You could put a air pump in there but i don't think that is really important to do. I never do it and have never lost 1 fish. Make sure it is covered to reduce the stress and don't forgot to acclimate them.

Ok, thanks guys, seems like all good ideas...I'll check it out, you've put me at some ease now...I was worried about the overall stress of the trip to them...

nice...I will be moving soon. Good info. I will buy one of those battery operated airstones. I was also worried. Thanks

check the hunting/fishing section of walmart, bass pro, k-mart, etc... i used to have a "livewell" that worked very well for keeping fish that were caught from the lake on the 2 hour drive home... it had a battery pack and cigarette lighter plug on it which was awesome for hauling them in my truck... sounds like what theyre talking about up above me

a 5 gallon bucket would be fine. if you want to spend more money it wont hurt. the whole speeding up and slowing down will slosh the water around putting air into the water. might want to look for a 100-120+ gallon tank now and skip the 55 gallon upgrade.

a 5 gallon bucket would be fine. if you want to spend more money it wont hurt. the whole speeding up and slowing down will slosh the water around putting air into the water. might want to look for a 100-120+ gallon tank now and skip the 55 gallon upgrade.

It might save you alot of time. You will be happy for a month and then you will eventually have your tank fully stalked and have no more room. Then that's when the bug will bite again. So it might just save you time.

I have a 150, but the apartment is too small and I don't really wanna move that aquarium in a year when I (probably) move again to a more permanent residence. Once I buy a house I'll have the 150 up and running which should be about a year or so, the 55 will be fine until then

that and with the addition of a 29 gallon nano reef I'm attempting not to populate the entire 3br. apt. with fish tanks...

Back
Top Bottom