Moving Oto's from 75g to 5g Betta/ghost shrim tank for clean up. Okay for a few days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I have a 75g tank with 10 Oto's in it. I also have a 5 gallon betta tank that's starting to have an algae issue. There are also 4 ghost shrimp in the tank.

Do you think it would be okay to move some of the Oto's to the 5 gallon to help with the Algae? The 75 is crystal clear and I'm thinking they might enjoy some fresh food :) I just don't want to harm them in any way.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you could get away with having at most 4 in your 5 gallon for a while. Not much longer than maybe 2 weeks.

I'd start with two moving two over to the 5 gallon. And watch for an ammonia spike.

If the parameters of the two tank are different, remember to acclimate them properly.

You'll know in a week if the Ottos are eating the aglae.

well you might wanna tackle the problem first bc the shrimp should be eating some of the algae.
problems could be;
1.overfeeding,
2.too close to a window

I've been fighting an diatom outbreak for about 2 weeks now. The tank is about 6 weeks old, was not cycled properly. From my research, seems like that's typical and should go away in a few weeks.

Just started getting a dark green algae on the tips of the leaves, filter intake, etc...

I'm doing 50% PWC's twice a week, cut down on the light in the tank, even tried dosing with excel, no luck. Just waiting for the diatom's to vanish... but the green algae has me concerned a little and thought the Oto's may help fight it; this algae just began appearing over the past 2 days. I just did a 50% pwc and it seems like there is enough that I thought of the hungry Oto's in the 75g :) Yes, I feed them algae waffers, but they don't seem to munch on them much.

Over feeding may be a problem (with the flakes). Even with a sponge in the filter, the filter still drags a lot of the flake down to the substrate. I started turning off the filter when I'm feeding him flakes to prevent this. The pellets and worms are fine.

I'd solve the source first, and add the ottos to help clean the algae. For a five gallon... 3 should clean it in no time!

Back
Top Bottom