Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Moving tank????!!

Hi everyone,

I've got to move my 70ltr tank and wanted to know if any of you had any advice on doing this.

Thanks in advance

Freddy xx

Old 12-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to KittyKat Send a message via MSN to KittyKat Send a message via Yahoo to KittyKat
How far are you moving? Across the living room or across the country?

Keep the fish warm, keep as much of the water as possible, acclimatise properly, keep filter moist…

Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'm moving it across the room to make room for Christmas x
Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's about 18 gallons so I would Drain all the water, then only keep half of it like a pwc. Put the fish in a bucket/s, keep the filter pad wet. Take out any decorations. Then get someone and move the tank off the stand, move the stand. Put the tank back on the stand. And then just add decor, water, fish, filter.

As long as the water is the same temp there's no need to acclimate them because your doing a pwc essentially.

Depending on how much gravel you have you may want to remove some of it.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moved to FW and Brackish- General Discussion.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to KittyKat Send a message via MSN to KittyKat Send a message via Yahoo to KittyKat
The above advice is good, I'd also empty the cupboard, cover the bucket (most fish jump) and if the tank+stand are not too heavy, I'd move both at the same time.

Fishkeeper26, I have four freshwater tanks right now and every single one has different water hardness, which is different from my tap water. Between the lowest and the highest KH and GH, the difference is over 10 degrees (170 ppm), even a fraction of that difference is enough to kill some species of fish. If one normally does only small water changes, then it would not be unusual for the tap water to differ, so in case of a large water change (unless the person test their tap water and tank water and finds the water hardness very similar or identical), acclimatisation can save the lives of the fish. I'm not talking about filling the tank with new water and dripping the water into a bucket through an airline, I'm talking about filling the tank with old water, then topping up the whole tank slowly instead of just adding (say) 50% of completely different water.

Tags
moving, moving tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com