Moving tank to new house?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBrossman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So we are moving to a new house and I was wondering what everyone recommended was the best way to move my tank? Should I take out all of the water and put the fish into a 5 Gallon bucket and move that way? Or should I just take out all but a couple inches of water and move the tank that way?

DBrossman said:
So we are moving to a new house and I was wondering what everyone recommended was the best way to move my tank? Should I take out all of the water and put the fish into a 5 Gallon bucket and move that way? Or should I just take out all but a couple inches of water and move the tank that way?

Hey I have this issue 4 times a year :(

It was recommended to me that I do the 5 gal bucket. But I don't really have a way to do that.. When I move, i have a helluh full car.

The water gets cloudy from what's left from the substrate, but I've found fish are OK if you leave them in.

:/ let me know what you decide.

KEEP THE FILTER PAD WET. Lol.

what i did one time is got one of those big rubber made storage boxes, you can get like a 30 gallon for very little money, or however big you need. Worked like a charm.

pixelfinger said:
what i did one time is got one of those big rubber made storage boxes, you can get like a 30 gallon for very little money, or however big you need. Worked like a charm.

What did you put in it? The whole tank? Just fish and water? What did you do with the tank if so? Lol

What did you put in it? The whole tank? Just fish and water? What did you do with the tank if so? Lol

I put fish, water, some of the substrate (gravel at the time) and the filter (just the mesh to keep bacteria alive). I didnt put any big decor in there cause i didnt want to crush any fish with the swishing around in the car. The tank i cleaned out and packed with Styrofoam with rest of my stuff. As soon as i got to my destination i threw a little air stone in there until i was able to get the aquarium set up right. If you want to keep more bacteria alive you could always get a separate container and throw all the big decor and more substrate in there without any fish.

Yeh you gave me some ideas! Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom