Moving Tanks Several States

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm working on being pro-active in all of this discussion of moving to a different state, and one of my largest concerns is my 72 gal planted bowfront. I'm looking for anyone's experience in similar matters or advice.

About the Move:
We are *POSSIBLY* moving from the chicagoland area up to Marquette, Michigan. The move would most likely be in winter (of course, that's most of the year in Marquette).

Plans to move the Tanks:

One 45 Gal Paludarium
- Frogs (3 Fire-bellied toads) can go into a large tupperware container with damp cloths in the jeep and they will be happy
- Fish (Two SAEs, Four Pristella Tetras) can go into a 5 gallon bucket with a lid and tank water in the jeep.
- Plants in a plastic baggie with water
- Gravel in plastic baggies

One 20 gallon
- Fish (Sorubim Lima, 3 Australian Rainbows - BTW, I know it's cramped for now) - Sorubim Lima in one 5 gallon bucket, 3 australian rainbows in another in the back of the jeep
- Gravel in plastic baggies

One 72 Gallon planted
- Plants in plastic baggies with water
- Fish (too many to list) in 30 gallon rubbermaid and 5 gallon buckets
- Gravel in a small trash can
- Probably a second trip in the jeep for this tank

Tanks and stands will be in a truck.

The drive is about 7 hours or so and I don't plan on heating or aerating the storage bins.

Figure 2 hours to break down, 7 hour drive, 2 hours to set up, bad things happening add 2 hours for about 13 hours total without heat or aerating the storage. Seems like a long time, but they go through worse in shipping to the LFS.

Any suggestions?

"Seems like a long time, but they go through worse in shipping to the LFS."

Most fish get shipped to pet stores in insulated/enclosed trucks and boxes that may have hot or cold packs depending on the season. The shipping bags are usually topped off with pure oxygen before they bags are sealed as well. If you are thinking about putting the fish buckets in the back of a truck (like on open pickup), I doubt few would survive the low temps. If you have them in something like a Durango or other SUV, they should be fine although I would really reccomend that you buy some cheap battery powered air pumps, OR get a DC->AC converter and use aquarium air pumps during the ride.

Try to keep your filter media wet for the ride too, when you set everything back up having bacteria will be important.

The live stock will be in my jeep, so temps are not an issue, I am considering the battery powered air pumps, but it is probably overkill if you don't overcrowd the containers.

With the amount of stone I have and it's years, I'm not as concerned about the filter media. It's not as important as keeping the stone.

[What a good idea about the power converter, thank you!!!]

I would guess some kinds of fish would be OK with the possible low oxygen, and others will be less happy. The battery powered pump would at least be insurance; move it from container to container. I really don't know how long fish can go without aeration (depends on temp, too), but I will say I've had tanks go a day or two without power.

Have you added up the weight of all the water and stone? Sounds like a load!

cowfish7

Wow, good luck if this possibility turns into reality. You do realize most Yoopers are some of the most avid Packer fans, right? Mqt is a neat place, but one heck of a change from Chicagoland.

I picked up a couple battery operated air pumps online for $6 each. I have not even used them, they are just cheap insurance in case I lose power for a while or need to move the fish. Given that they are so cheap, its probably worth buying a few instead of worrying about it.

I just moved 2 of my tanks. It was only about 6 hours or so but still I had great luck with small containers half filled with water and then with some plants as well. Java fern and water sprite. I figured it would give them a little security, plus when it is all dark inside the bucket the plants would start to give off oxygen. Plus whenever I got the chance I would crack the lid to make sure that the air inside was replaced. With all of the sloshing around I am sure there is fine air exchange.

Sati-

Love my toads. They're VERY active and make neat sounds. When we first got them, my wife thought she kept hearing barking dogs outside when the toads would make noises.

I'll post a pic of my paludarium I built later.

ScottS-

My wife is from Marquette, so I've spent a lot of time up there. Funny thing is, I'm opening a sports bar. How is an avid Bears fan going to do in Packerland?

Back
Top Bottom