Moving to a new city 45 min away!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magikalgirl79

Aquarium Advice Regular
It looks like I will be moving in a few weeks and I'll need to get my 20g & 10g there. Its a 45 min drive. I was thinking I would put both in my hatch(Kia Soul has a power outlet there) and keep just the heaters going in both tanks. But will the have enough oxygen for the trip?

What kind of fish do you have? I've driven for two hours with new fish in the bags from the aquatics store and they're fine. You should see if your lfs would give you big bags and fill them up with your tank water and try to leave the rest in the tank then you wouldn't have to worry about reestablishing your tanks either. This is from personal experience. The gf lives like an hour away with their lfs having the fish you can't find locally here. No casualties yet.

Do not try to transport your tanks with water in them. Hit one speed bump and you're talking stress fractures. Not worth it. Bag the fish, empty the water, bag the filter, refill once you're in your new place.

fadetoblack06 said:
What kind of fish do you have? I've driven for two hours with new fish in the bags from the aquatics store and they're fine. You should see if your lfs would give you big bags and fill them up with your tank water and try to leave the rest in the tank then you wouldn't have to worry about reestablishing your tanks either. This is from personal experience. The gf lives like an hour away with their lfs having the fish you can't find locally here. No casualties yet.

I have in the 20g
1 large pleco's
1 catfish
9 black tetras
4 rosy barbs
1 platy
1 angel fish
2 Molly's
1 Chinese algae eater
3 electric yellow cichlids(about 4 months old)

In the 10g
2 Molly's 1 female 1 male-the female should drop her fry by the end of the week which will make moving that one much easier!

And I moved the 20g here with all fish in it but only 1/4 of the water it it and I put the rest of the water in buckets, no issues

I think you were just lucky. We won't even move a 16 gallon tank containing 50% water from room to room. We drain it down to just a few inches. I've heard too many horror stories about cracks. Of course, the larger the tank, the larger the possibillity of it happening.

Are you planning on upgrading tank size any time soon? The fish in your 20 gallon could use a whole lot more room. :(

If I was going to move I would get at least 4 5gallon buckets with tide lids (lowes or home depot sell them for $4), fill them up with your tank water and transfer the fish in. In your case you will have around 17 gallons of water in them which should be enough to fill back your tanks at least 50%. Make sure to move your tanks empty. All filter media put in your buckets with fish, don't let them dry. This way you'll keep beneficial bakteria alive. Fish should be OK in buckets for 2-3 hours. If where you live is already cold make sure you warm up your car inside before the trip. That will keep the water temp almost steady. If you have any gravel or sand also keep it wet at all the time. Don't let your bb die.
Once you get to new location just put everything back togather.
Good luck!

LyndaB said:
I think you were just lucky. We won't even move a 16 gallon tank containing 50% water from room to room. We drain it down to just a few inches. I've heard too many horror stories about cracks. Of course, the larger the tank, the larger the possibillity of it happening.

Are you planning on upgrading tank size any time soon? The fish in your 20 gallon could use a whole lot more room. :(

I talked to my LPS and they said they would give me the bags for the move.

And yes I seriously need to upgrade!(I bought the 20g from someone fully stocked already!) I've actually already gave away 3 tiger barbs, a platy, as well as a second large pleco! I still can believe she put all those fish in there! Right now I'm looking at a 36g bow front :) just have to talk my hubby into it lol

fadetoblack06 said:
Start trolling craigslist. I got a full set up 90 gallon for $100.

There is one on Kijiji right now for $200(the 36g bow front with stand) they sell them new at my LPS for $490! I'm going to show my husband later ;)

Back
Top Bottom