Moving to an apartment & I have a 120gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Aquaforce

Aquarium Advice Freak
What do I do? I have a 120 gallon freshwater tank that I made.... it's going to be a bit to big for an apartment however my main concerns is the floor going to be able to withstand the weight?? I'd ask but pet policy is 2 pets per apartment and they consider a fishtank as one pet however I have 3 cats and 2 tanks (obviously taking down the 2nd tank to use for isolation). So I do have some thoughts on what to do, I just want to ask everyone who reads this i ask one favor. Please leave a reply to this question --- what size tank would you consider ideal for a pair of angelfish, 10 or less, only if I have to of my Schwartz corydoras.

What do I do? I have a 120 gallon freshwater tank that I made.... it's going to be a bit to big for an apartment however my main concerns is the floor going to be able to withstand the weight?? I'd ask but pet policy is 2 pets per apartment and they consider a fishtank as one pet however I have 3 cats and 2 tanks (obviously taking down the 2nd tank to use for isolation). So I do have some thoughts on what to do, I just want to ask everyone who reads this i ask one favor. Please leave a reply to this question --- what size tank would you consider ideal for a pair of angelfish, 10 or less, only if I have to of my Schwartz corydoras.

We would need to know more about how they built the apartment to give you a better idea. Even then its really just an educated guess. I'm assuming you will be living on the second floor? If its the base floor then you should have nothing to worry about since it should be concrete. If it is the second floor then most apartments are built with proper floor struts capable of supporting that tank as long as you put it on a load bearing wall. Just don't have tons of other heavy stuff around the tank or on the same wall. But this again really depends on how they built the apartment. Did they go with 2x6's or did they go with 2x8's?

For example with my house..
the floor struts are 2x8's and I have a 60g, 40g long, 5 10g, a 20g long and a 30g plastic tote all in the same room spaced out around the room on load bearing walls. No problems at all. Room is only around a 14'x14' room. The shorter the struts are the more the weight is spread out across the room and onto load bearing walls.

For tank size for a pair of angel fish you could do a 40g and have a few more smaller fish also. Not really sure what you mean by "angelfish, 10 or less, only if I have to of my Schwartz corydoras." I'm curious as to what you are going to do with your cats. I love fish and all but I find much more companionship from cats.

Gotcha gotcha, thank you for your reply, will be keeping that in mind when I move in, what I ment by 10 or less, only if I have to. Is that I have 10 of the Schwartz corydoras if I resize my tank down I then should rehome 5 of the Schwartz cories. Not to mention my pair of angelfish are bigger than my hand

We would need to know more about how they built the apartment to give you a better idea. Even then its really just an educated guess. I'm assuming you will be living on the second floor? If its the base floor then you should have nothing to worry about since it should be concrete. If it is the second floor then most apartments are built with proper floor struts capable of supporting that tank as long as you put it on a load bearing wall. Just don't have tons of other heavy stuff around the tank or on the same wall. But this again really depends on how they built the apartment. Did they go with 2x6's or did they go with 2x8's?

For example with my house..
the floor struts are 2x8's and I have a 60g, 40g long, 5 10g, a 20g long and a 30g plastic tote all in the same room spaced out around the room on load bearing walls. No problems at all. Room is only around a 14'x14' room. The shorter the struts are the more the weight is spread out across the room and onto load bearing walls.

For tank size for a pair of angel fish you could do a 40g and have a few more smaller fish also. Not really sure what you mean by "angelfish, 10 or less, only if I have to of my Schwartz corydoras." I'm curious as to what you are going to do with your cats. I love fish and all but I find much more companionship from cats.

Just discovered a crack in my sump tank yesterday. :( had to empty it out 20190529_175250.jpg

That's right.... cant afford a sump for this tank as I scored the 45b on a deal for 80 bucks brand new made by ocean view which still confuses me on how it cracked. But anyways quite a few stuff will be coming on to the market for trades or purchase due to this mishap. 1559264811307.jpg

oh my! sorry to hear this. no telling why it happened. probably was just a bad piece of glass and finally succumbed to the pressure of the water. that or maybe your cats possibly knocked something into it. either way it sucks.
I thought of that too (wouldn't be the first time they broke glass). This really sucks.... beacuse was planning on cutting out all of the baffles and use this 45b tank at my apartment. So I can at least keep my plants. But idk what to do

Back
Top Bottom