Moving to Dayton, OH!! how to transport fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevccoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am taking a job transfer and will be moving to ohio(10 hours away, and a few questions.

1: what is the absolute best way to transport the fish, regardless of cost.
2: any good shops in that area?

What kind of fish are they, sometimes air shipping would be best but extremely expensive and uneccasary, other times very important. If you have someone to drive you could hold a cooler or something of that nature on your lap, if you want to switch holders every 5 hours or something. They are transported all the time to the pet store and such and should be ok.

i have a couple gourami, about 7 cory cats, a baby electric blue jack dempsey(will be swithed to his own tank once we get there and setup, but for now he in with the others) a gold nugget pleco, a bristlenose, and common long fin pleco, flag fish, and 2 bamboo shrimp

Ok you could either carry them in a cooler or something of that nature and buy a battery operated heater (the have those somewhere), or ship them on a aeroplane. The max time Ive traveled with a fish was 3 hours, so google would probably be a better source than me, but remember there shipped every day to pet stores and places by air so if you don't mind the price air would probably be best.

I just moved across the state, and the fish were in transport for 12 hours.

I bought styrofoam coolers, and battery operated air stones (online). I put the fish from the community tanks in the coolers along with some of their decorations and filter media so it would stay wet. I put a hole in the top of the cooler for air exchange. I put the coolers in the back seat, but got some pieces of wood to keep them level, and surrounded the coolers with blankets and pillows to reduce the josteling.
I emptied the tanks all the way, except for about an inch of water to keep the substrate wet. 3 tanks went in the trunk of my car, and one went in the moving truck surrounded by blankets.
When I got over to the new house, I filled the tanks up and acclimated the fish, and I have been here 3 weeks, and all is well!
Congrats on the new job! :)

Regarding question #1, the advice you've been given so far basically says it all. Most important thing (outside of keeping the fish alive) is keeping your filter media in tank water so that the filter bacteria don't die.

Regarding #2, when you ask if there are any good shops "in the area," that's a little hard to answer considering you only told us you were moving to Ohio. "Ohio" is a pretty big "area." :p If you can be more precise about your location, no doubt some of the Ohioans here can give you some suggestions.

If you can be more precise about your location, no doubt some of the Ohioans here can give you some suggestions.
read the title :rolleyes:... i kid, i kid

I agree with Darby, I think your best bet is to get the styrofoam coolers and either a batter powered air pump, or a cheaper option may be an inverter to hook up your current filter or air pump if possible

Thanx for the info guys, I really love my fish, and would hate to see anything bad happen, as for location, i did say in the title (Dayton, OH). anyone familiar?

I'm not I suggest google maps type In aquarium or fish or something and you should see a lot of results and you can read the reviews call them get agrees etc.
Thanx for the info guys, I really love my fish, and would hate to see anything bad happen, as for location, i did say in the title (Dayton, OH). anyone familiar?

Doh! My bad, I totally missed that in the subject line. :foot: Sorry about that!

this one's easy. Jack's Pets.

Jack's Aquarium and Pets - Store Locations

The store near me generally has good livestock and accessories, have bought a few plants there too; most of these places are in the Dayton area and I'm assuming they're all pretty much the same.

If you get bored on a weekend, you could drive up here to Columbus and check out Aquarium Adventure. It's sort of a super LFS.

And of course there are the usual bigger chain stores.

I just moved across the state, and the fish were in transport for 12 hours.

I bought styrofoam coolers, and battery operated air stones (online). I put the fish from the community tanks in the coolers along with some of their decorations and filter media so it would stay wet. I put a hole in the top of the cooler for air exchange. I put the coolers in the back seat, but got some pieces of wood to keep them level, and surrounded the coolers with blankets and pillows to reduce the josteling.
I emptied the tanks all the way, except for about an inch of water to keep the substrate wet. 3 tanks went in the trunk of my car, and one went in the moving truck surrounded by blankets.
When I got over to the new house, I filled the tanks up and acclimated the fish, and I have been here 3 weeks, and all is well!
Congrats on the new job! :)
good idea... rubermade also work. personally i wouldnt move the tank with water and substrate still in the tank. i would put the substrate in a rubbermade tub with some tank water. take out all the media from the filters and put them in a tubs.

most cases the air pumps isnt a must. also they have the inverts where you can plug in a air pump from the cig lighter.

Back
Top Bottom