Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Moving to my new home and looking for advice for moving tank

I have a 72 gallon bowfront I'm using as a freshwater community tank. Its been up and running for about six months now. I am moving to a new house in the next few weeks and am trying to see if anyone has any ideas for moving/restarting the tank and keeping the fish as healthy and happy as possible. I have 3 clown loaches, a pink gourami, bala shark, 6" pleco, 5 corydoras, siamese algae eater, and a handful of danios. Any information or prior experiences will be handy. Thanks!

Old 08-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
Get a few buckets... keep your gravel and your filter media submerged at all times.... get another bucket for the fishies... and move the tank... when you get to the new house... set up the tank... get a inch or 2 of water into the tank.. then put in the gravel, keep the filter submerged in the bucket.. fill up the tank till you can get the filter running again.. continue to fill up the tank till its full... wait for the temperature to be where its going to be at.. then drip acclimate the fishes till the buckets water is the same temp as the tank.. then add fishies..

Old 08-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to MichaelsLilGray Send a message via Yahoo to MichaelsLilGray
a helpful thing to do.. keep the fish bucket aired out with a air pump and air stone.. and when you get to the new house.. clean out the tank really well.. all bacteria on the glass will have died.. and can cause a mini cycle or ammonia spike..
Old 08-30-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to the FW forums. This forum is for technical support and admin contact.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
eah
Aquarium Advice Freak

Definitely keep your substrate and filter media submersed in tank water as MichaelsLilGray suggests. Five gallon buckets for fish transportation is great but I would definitely use more than one bucket. Otherwise, it could get a little crowded in there.

You might also consider feeding a little less the day before the move. I wouldn't feed your fish on the day of the move either.

There are some really helpful old threads on other people's experiences moving if you try searching around a bit.

Good luck!
Old 08-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Fish R friends, not food!

I also used the oppurtunity to clean my substrate real good. If you keep the filter media wet during the move you will be fine.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsLilGray View Post
a helpful thing to do.. keep the fish bucket aired out with a air pump and air stone.. and when you get to the new house.. clean out the tank really well.. all bacteria on the glass will have died.. and can cause a mini cycle or ammonia spike..
never heard of anyone having a ammonia spike over bacteria on the glass dying off. higher chance of not having the bacteria cause a spike but not enough to take care of the ammonia the fish are making.

over all what you said i think is the best way to go about it.

Tags
moving, moving tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com