Moving to new tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sfuller

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm moving from a 20 gallon tank to a 46 gallon Oceanic Bowfront. The old tank has a Aquaclear 30 (using three foam inserts) and a gravel substrate. It has minimal decoration--three plastic plants and two small decorative objects.

Here's what I've purchased after much research:

Thermometer Fahrenheit
Penn Plax Therma-Temp Standing Thermometer (for python)
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit
Two Aquaclear 50 Power Filters
Two WON Pro-Heat IC Heaters 150 W 11in
Python No Spill Clean And Fill- 25' & brass adaptor.
Tom Aquarium Digital Temperature Alert

I want to put white marine sand in the new tank. I am planning to use one new Aquaclear and the old Aquaclear when I move the fish until the new tank is cycled.

I have some questions--

The new tank should be here in a couple of weeks. Would it help if I removed one foam insert and used a biomax insert in the old tank with the idea of moving it to the new tank? Should I just use the new Aquaclears from the start using old media?

Would it help if I moved some of the old substrate and placed it underneath the sand in the new tank?

Or do I need to cycle the new tank with old media before I move the fish?

Does anyone know if the Phython and the brass insert will fit an "normal" newer bachroom faucet? I use Prime as dechlor with buckets currently. With the Python do I treat all 46G after water changes (1/3rd).

Does anyone have a suggestion for new additions. I will be getting so more Panda corys.

Thanks in advance. This is a great site. I will be making donations over time.

3 Hatchetfish
2 Scissortail Rasboras
2 Corydoras
1 Panda Cory
10 Neon Tertas
2 Glowlight Tetras
1 Betta

You can move the old filter and the fish all at once. No cycle or very little. Just run all 3 filters together for 6 weeks or so and then remove the old filter. Put the old gravel in a bag (a stocking works well) and put it in the new tank. When the tank looks stable remove the stocking with the gravel. I would not use marine sand. Pool filter sand would work very well and would give you the effect you want.

Hi, and welcome to AA! :D

Congrats on your new tank. Those bowfront tanks are really beautiful. I agree about just moving the old filter over with the fish. I've started many tanks this way with excellent results every time. Just keep an eye on perams for a few days and be prepared to change some water, but you may not even have to do that. I'm not sure I know what you mean by marine sand, like crushed coral? That could raise your pH, which may be problematic for your fish, since the species you have prefer softer water with a lower pH, like 6.5-7.0. If you want marine sand because you like the look of white sand, I would suggest pool filter sand. You can get a 50 lb. bag for about $10 and it is heavy enough to stay out of your filter, plus it won't alter your water chemistry. :)

Thanks for your advice about the filter--I was hoping that was the answer. Putting the old substrate in a sock is a great idea. The sand is was refering to is made by Caribsea and list ing the freshwater section.

Marine Sand - An inert, natural substrate. Recommended for
freshwater aquariums with external filtration. Very striking. Do
not use with undergravel filtration. Grain Size 0.1 - 0.3 mm.
Product #: 00820 (20 lb. bag).

I moved filter and fish on Tuesday I gave a dose of Prime before I moved the fish. The ammonia and nitrites, and nitrates were present but low. PH was about 6.9. Retested again on Thursday not much change so I dosed with Prime again. . By Sunday ammonia and nitrates were 0 and nitrates was 10ppm--PH was 6.6. I lost a neon and glowlight tetra (both were probably over two-three years after purchase). I also lost a very young panda cory. The panda corys at two diffent LFS are very young. I have had six and only two are left. The two remaining are larger and very active and playful. The four that died were all sluggish at purchase, so I'm thinking they were too young of too stressed. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom