Moving/transferring tanks...what about the cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hamburgler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm going to be moving my tank from school (15g) home permanently into a 50g.
So i'm just wondering about the cycle in the tank. I will have well seeded filter media and i can add all of the substrate from the 15 to the new tank with the new sand/gravel.
Along with driftwood etc that will probably have some bacteria on it.

Soo basicly i'm just wondering opinios on what the situation would be like regarding the parameters.

I may be able to get some well seeded media, gravel in the pantyhose method etc from the shop i work at.

Any suggestions would be cool too.

If you use as much of the media and substrate from the smaller tank you should be fine.

Just fill the tank first with water and use some prime.
1/2 hour after that add in the substrate and filter media and let it run for say an hour to get things moving.

If you do that you should have no cycle at all.

I had a big filter on my 29 and I switched to my 55. Are you switching filters? If so, I think I've read to float the cartridges or whatever in the new tank. If you could run the old filter, that would be best, even if you have to run two for a while.

Keep everything wet when you switch it over. I used the same gravel and added to it. Otherwise, I think they suggest putting it in a nylon and tying it off.

If you add no new fish and move all or most of your bio media you should see no cycle. After a couple weeks add any new stock slowly, so the bacteria can keep up with the new load.

Thanks for the speedy replies!

That sounds good...the 15g is overfiltered so i was planning on at least starting by using that one. Then maybe add a sponge filter or whatever at some point.

I have plenty of fish bags, rubbermaid containers etc to keep everything submerged!

Back
Top Bottom