moving trauma?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I moved 2 rams into a different tank 2 days ago and they still don't seem right. I thought the move went as peacefully as possible... I acclimated them for 20 minutes and have been feeding them all the good stuff since. They do come out to eat, but they both take just a few excited bites. But then they pretty much just sit there. Sometimes they move around a little but, but they are still acting like they are completely stunned from the move. They did get downsized a fair bit... went from 55 gallons of planted community to just the 2 of them in a 10 gal, but I thought they would be okay by now. Any ideas? Water params are fine (0-0-15).

They did get downsized a fair bit... went from 55 gallons of planted community to just the 2 of them in a 10 gal,...

I would be in shock too if I woke up and found myself outdoors and no familiar surroundings. It will take a bit of time for them to get used to their new environment. Do you have artificial plants in the 10g? That will help a lot.

Did they get downsized for any specific purpose, ie: Aggression issues in the 55, you want to breed, etc.?

If not and they seem to become more lethargic, you may want to put them back in the 55.

Well, I would be confused too for the first day or so. I just thought they would be starting to come around by now. There are indeed artificial plants in their new home.

They did get moved for specific reasons. There were some aggression issues involving another female ram around breeding activity. It was time for them to get a place of their own. I feel bad about shocking them so much.

One time I put my betta in a 1 gal with a molly(this was a long time ago, I've learned much better now) but he ripped its fin, so I put him back in his bowl and he sat on the bottom the whole time, this was temporary until i got a 10 gal. The molly was returned and now he is the happy owner of a 10 gal (he only shares is with a few cories and otos).

Doesn't surprise me the rams are acting a bit "off". When mine came from the LFS they were very shy, skittish, and I though they were on the verge of death. It took about a week before they started to become really active and healthy looking.

Just give them really good water parameters and food, they should be fine.

I just don't remember them being skittish for this long when I first got them. I noticed that when I go near the tank they hide even more, so I have been trying to spy on them from afar. It's not going too well. And as far as I can tell they just sit around closer to the front of the tank.

I got a new male (at least I thought it was a male... I'm not so sure anymore) for the 55 today and s/he seems to have settled in a bit already. Brave enough to go exploring and chase a danio or 2 anyway.

Back
Top Bottom