Mr Fiddler Crab Carrying Miss Fiddler Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
This morning upon arriving at work I saw one of our male fiddler crabs walking semi upside down. He was carrying our female fiddler crab upside down. At first I thought she was dead and that he was carting off a meal.

When I saw her move my thoughts shifted to she's not yet dead but about to become a meal. I put my arm in the tank and touched the male on his underside until he released her. She took off pretty quick. When he tried to follow her I blocked his path with my finger. He wasn't pleased and threatened my finger with his large claw.

About a minute later he seemed to be going after her again and she didn't stick around to let him get a hold on her. I dropped food in the tank hoping it was just hunger that drove him to chase her.

Since I know little about crabs I may have interrupted them mating. However I was told by a fish store worker that fiddler crabs only mate in salt water. If that is true then I don't think they were mating.

Has anyone seen this behavior in fiddler crabs before?

Its mating.

My crabs were mating yesterday.

How would you like if someone came and plucked you out of the room when you were in the middle of... things? :p

Next time you look in the tank they will have a "Do Not Disturb" card hanging from the doorknob... :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom