MTS has struck! A few questions on filtration, lighting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwell1295

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just caught a sudden case of Newbie Multiple Tank Syndrome (NMTS for short). My first tank is cycling (with fish) and I've already picked up Tank #2. I was browsing Craigslist and came across a nice acrylic 20gal tank with hood, lights, flourescent pink gravel (ugghh!) and an AquaClear 30 HOB filter.....all for $20.00! Naturally, I rushed over and picked it up.

I tested the tank for leaks and everything looks good. The filter has just the one foam insert in it at the moment. I'm not familiar with the AquaClear brand since I have a Penguin 350 in my 30gal.

Do I need to add more than the one insert to this filter? I was going to add the activated carbon insert just as a precaution.

Should I rinse this one out or start with a new one? Unless there's a benefit from keeping the old one, I'd just as soon start with a fresh filter.

How about an ammonia removing filter? I'm going to fishless cycle, so I didn't think that would be necessary until the cycle is completel.

About the lighting.....the hood has room for 2 bulbs. One of them is missing and the one that is there is putting out a really nice shade of yellow (?). I want to get something to brighten this tank as well as the bulb in my 30gal. Any suggestions for lighting? Should I be looking at any brand in particular.

Thanks in advance!!

Great deal on that new aquarium! I've had a wanted ad for aquarium equipment on Craigslist for a month with no success.

You may want to just go ahead and replace both bulbs with ones that you know will put out the right kind of light.

Thanks for the response. I was getting discouraged thinking I had asked some dumb questions. I'm going to run out and grab some gravel so I may as well grab a few new bulbs. They're pretty cheap (<$5) so if I don't like them it won't be too big of a loss. I'll just chalk it up to experience...

I'll go ahead and grab a couple of the foam filters while I'm at it and check back later to see if I need to add the extra inserts. Hopefully there will be some more responses by the time I get back.

I would add some bio media to the filter as well as sponges. I would rinse everything out and start from scratch you have no idea what went on it that tank before you got it.

I have an aqua clear filter as well on my 20 gal. I use a foam insert, activated carbon, and the biobag. It works just fine.
Also insted of going to the lfs to pick up bulbs, you might want to check out your hardware store. I got some 48" bulbs with the same color temp etc. for only 6 bucks a peice. At petsmart they were $15 dollars plus.
There shouldn't be any need for an ammoina removing media if your tank has cycled. You shouldn't use it while cycling either it my prolong the cycling process.

rich311k said:
I would add some bio media to the filter as well as sponges. I would rinse everything out and start from scratch you have no idea what went on it that tank before you got it.
What do you mean by bio media?

A biobag as Japola suggested. it is filter media with lots of surface area for bacteria to grow on. They also sell ceramic noodles for the same pupose. i do not know if they would fit in your filter however. I do not own one.

That's what I ended up doing. Bought a new foam insert, a Bio Bag, and the activated carbon filter as well. Just statrted my cycle a little while ago...

You could even do another biobag instead of the activated carbon, as about the only good AC will do is remove meds from the tank or removing tannins if you have driftwood in the tank. It also needs to be replaced often, where other biomedia you don't need to replace. What is in the biobag you have? Does it say?

Lonewolfblue said:
You could even do another biobag instead of the activated carbon, as about the only good AC will do is remove meds from the tank or removing tannins if you have driftwood in the tank. It also needs to be replaced often, where other biomedia you don't need to replace. What is in the biobag you have? Does it say?

AC makes biobags for their filters, they look just like the Fluval Bio Media - like tall dounuts. Once my AC 110 comes I'll be tossing the carbon too and doubling up on the bio media.

Back
Top Bottom