MTS vs Ramshorn: Fight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been trying to breed some Ramshorn snails for my Figure 8 puffer to eat, but all of my tanks have MTS in them. I am afraid that the MTS population will compete with them and inhibit the Ramshorn breeding capacity. So, I have been culling the MTS population in the tank that I decided to keep the ramshorns in. Am I being unreasonable or will removing the MTS help the Ramshorn population increase faster?

I've been trying to breed some Ramshorn snails for my Figure 8 puffer to eat, but all of my tanks have MTS in them. I am afraid that the MTS population will compete with them and inhibit the Ramshorn breeding capacity. So, I have been culling the MTS population in the tank that I decided to keep the ramshorns in. Am I being unreasonable or will removing the MTS help the Ramshorn population increase faster?

From what I've read, ramshorns will only breed in saltwater, not freshwater. If you want MTS's gone, remove your ramshorns and get a few assassin snails. They'll take the MTS's right out. Then sell/remove assassins and put ramshorns back in.

Don't figure 8 puffers eat MTS?

I have ramshorn snails and they have breed several times in my fresh water tank.

MTS are the most troublesome snail for the puffer to eat. I only feed him tiny ones he just crushes them whole and spits out the shell fragments. Most F8 owners recommend ramshorn or pond snails.

MTS should not have much effect on ramshorns, providing you feed enough. MTS tend to remain in the substrate, except when they come up to the surface to let their babies out, whereas Ramshorns feed everywhere.

They like plants, so you might want to give them some cheap plants to graze over. They eat dead plant matter, not live, but like to graze the biofilm on plants. They don't reproduce as quickly as bladder snails do though, so you might want to try bladder snails too, as an additional source.

Bladder snails are often called pond snails but they are smaller, move much faster and often show up uninvited on plants too.

Nerites are the ones that need salt water for their eggs to hatch.. but they do fine in fresh for daily living.

Back
Top Bottom