MTS... Yahoo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, My girlfriends brother is moving back home. he has a 55 gallon with 3 cichlids. He also has a 20 gallon tank laying around. he can't take either of them. Rather than just "Flush them" (I explained that this was HORRIBLE) He's giving the lot to me.

SO, I am getting a 55 gallon tank, empty, a 20 gallon tank with 3 cichlids.

The 55 comes with a T5 hood, and stand. I'm hoping the lighting will be strong enough to start a planted discus tank! :-D

Basically, I'll have a tank in every room but one... One in the office/den, one in the Living room/dining room, and one in the bedroom.

Excitement!

This 55 gallon build will take a while. I'm thinking it'll be at least 6 to 9 months before I put discus in it. Money is tight.

Wow... So, Definately sad about this one.

I recieved the two tanks. Its not a 55 and a 20... its a 30 and a 10. No discus for me. AND on top of that, both hoods broke in transit, and his heaters shattered because he took it out while it was still hot - So to save the fish, I had to run out and buy two new heaters. Also bought two new hoods while I was at it. and a thermometer, and a AC20 as he had a huge marine 70gallon HOB filter for his 10 gallon, and it makes a horrible racket, and its in the bedroom. Disaster, almost 200.00 spent. Bah!

We've all been there, where the deals we thought were great turned out to be money pits. Funny how life works out sometimes, but you still rescued 3 fish and ended up with two more tanks. That's always a good day in my house...my wife's glaring as I type since I have 9 running now!

Yeah, I may pawn off the 30 gallon and stand and get a 75 gallon. I'm guessing I can get 100 for the 30 gallon as the stand is pretty nice. I'll get a steel tube stand for the 75 gallon and just drape fabric over it. I have everything else.

SO... News.

I've found a 6 month old 75 gallon tank, stand, T5 lighting, 200 bucks delivered to my door.

I'm selling the 30 gallon. I will take pictures, but right now, I have an AC70, a powerhead, a 100 watt heater (will purchase a second one) and that's about it.

I will fill it up, add Eco Complete, add some filter material from my established tanks, and add some cardinals. I'll slowly start planting, getting everything ready - For discus.

Now, with a 75 gallon, I should be 5 discus, correct? do you add them one or two at a time? or all 5 at once? Worried about causing a cycle. I've only ever added "small"fish. I'm looking at the 2-3inch size discus.

So, Got the 75 Tonight, with a 48 inch T5 light fixture.

While it looks bright, I worry it won't be enough to grow some easy plants.

This is going to be a VERY slow process. Money is tight.

Basically, I'm going to transplant 8 black neon tetra's into this tank in a week or so. They'll sit there alone in a bare tank for a while.

I will save 80 bucks for 3 20lbs bags of Eco Complete. Will this cover a 75 Gallon with a decent layer? or will I have to go with 4X20 pound bags?

In my 44 Gallon, I did a 25 pound bag of Brown pebble (generic) and then a 20 pound bag of eco-complete - Been growing plants solidly for 5 years now!

FOrgot to add pictures. Wood cabinet is the 30 gallon. (for sale!)

Right now, I have an AC70 and a powerhead. a 100 watt ehiem heater, Planning on getting a second 100 watt heater. I've been burned THREE times in 5 years by heaters getting stuck on. Playing it safe!

I THINK i'm going to put this AC70 on my 44 gallon and bring my fluval 304 over to this tank. Espically since I'm going to eventually put Discus. Would a 304 be enough filtration? (I have a single powerhead for flow)

I plan on going easy with the planting. Java fern about 3 or 4 inches from the front, Some small swords 2 or 3 inches behind that. A bit of drift wood on one side, maybe a big rock on the other, and some tall grasses at back, or some hornwort.

Basically, I want max 5 species of plants, and 3 main species of fish - Discus, Congo's and Cardinals. The congo's are optional, found them a bit agressive sometimes. may sub them out with somethign else. I'm sure of the Discus/Cardinals though! The rest will be the cleanup crew. Cories, maybe a SAE if algae becomes an issue.

It won't be heavily stocked. 4-5 discus (probably 5, seems like a good number) 15ish cardinals. 6 congo's.

That being said - 15% water changes twice weekly when all the fish are in, Would this be OK?

My concern is tap water here is generally OK for hardness, but the PH is steady at 7.6. I don't want to chemically alter it, I see it as disaster waiting to happen, and I'm not doing CO2.

Any Suggestions comments?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 5,207
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 63
Back