Mudskippers, cool pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leannec

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there I just bought some mud skippers and I am trying to find an alternative food source other than crickets for these little guys they are just babies and crickets seem to be to large for them. Any suggestions?

What cute lil buggers! Nice set-up too :)

I haven't kept them myself, so I have no experience in feeding them. I wonder if they'll take bloodworm; either frozen or if not, then live?

Those are very cool. :D What do they eat in the wild?

Earthworms, mealworms, waxworms. no experience mind you, but that's what I would try. you may do better at a bait and tackle shop that the lfs for those type foods. or collect some earthworms on your own (after the ground is thawed), most critters can't resist little garden worms, as opposed to giant nightcrawlers you would get at the bait shop.

[center:fda7ba4efe]:n00b: Welcome to AA, Leannec :smilecolros:[/center:fda7ba4efe]

Good luck with the mud skippers!

Well i tried an experiment, I bought 10 crickets and 25 meal worms, they scooped up the worms in a second. All the crickets are still there this morning. Some had 2-3 in thier mouths each! It was very cute. They weren't that expensive I paid 8 bucks a peice cause no one was buying them at the pet store so I bought the whole stock. ha

Just to note dont buy King meal worms. My skippers are terrified of them , they won't go anywhere near them therefor eat them! oops.

Mud skippers!

Just a word of advice from a previous mudskipper owner...

I had a pair of mudskippers for a few years and they were great. Very interesting creatures.

But I woke up one morning, and they were on the floor and dried.

They had hopped out of the tank, through the lid.

The cheap water heater has stuck ON and the water temp went up very high.

Please keep the lid on, and make sure they can always stay wet, and don't use a cheap water heater. Don't use one at all unless you really need it.

I hope you don't have to have happen to you what happened to me.

Mine like to eat freeze drine brine shrimp.

I would be concerned that mealworms have too tough of a skin... but I don't know. My archers seem to have a tough time choking them down. About the crickets you are feeding... they are HUGE! Buy baby crickets. You can get them as small as a pin-head. I feed baby crickets to my archers and they have no problems. You'll find that your mudskippers will appreciate the smaller sized meals.

Try out a variety of frozen foods. I keep mysis, bloodworms, and krill stocked in my freezer for feeding and archers are known to be picky eaters. I'd imagine your mudskippers would love any of those foods. Just make sure you thaw them out before offering.

Your mudskippers are super awesome! What species are they? What SG is your water? I'm going to be getting at some point next year to mix in with a new archer tank.

I was curious of the SG of the water as well. I have an empty 29 gallon that would make a great starter tank for one or two mudskippers.

What is your tank size?Mudskippers need big tank since they are aggressive toward eacher other as they grow older.Make sure you keeping them in BW,they are full brackish water fish that don't do good when in FW.They eat black worms that are put on land not in water but I think they can eat them in water too.Frozen bloodworms,frozen brine,maybe flight-less fruit flies.I hope you have a fun time keeping these fish,they are really cool.I have seen them in the wild and they are so cute.^_^

The African mudskippers at the shop I haunt love frozen mysis shrimp and frozen bloodworms.....they seem to be able to practically eat their weight in mysis.

Back
Top Bottom