multicolored slate tile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lscotty

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know another slate post. I did search and search and search so more and everyone seems to agree slate is safe in an aquarium bit the only slate I can seem to find anywhere is multicolored. Ive gone to like 6 diffrent places, homedepot, lowes, tile stores none have had just grey slate. I also took a small dropper bottle of muratic acid with me and put a few drops on the slate at each place I went. Every single one would fizz on the colored part but not the grey part. I had a piece of this tile at home and soaked it in an a mix of muratic acid and water for 30min. Then in water baking soda mix for 30min and the rinsed it of and tested it again and no more fizzing anywhere. Sorry long winded, if your still reading my questions are, is this slate still aquarium safe? If not the Since it didnt fizz after an acid bath is it safe then aftwr being rinsed well? I'm looking to make slate caves in my 150g planted tank and dont want to kill everything fish or plants

I've always wondered about this too. I've read that you shouldn't use slate with a lot of iron in it

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well since I havent gotten any yes or no answers I set up my quarantine tank with filter media and water from my main tank tested the water then threw in a stack of slate. If the ph changes over the next week I'll have my answer

I think that stone is a little fiddly - I would go and get some driftwood. There are numerous threads on the subject, but mostly, here are the steps:
1find driftwood
2boil it until all the tannic acid comes out
3put in aquarium

Back
Top Bottom