multiple bettas in single tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Id rather not do it, now considering it...maybe in a huge tank or pond it may work, but i want a 50 or 55 gal really. Also at mumma of 2
Thanks, i love diy goodies!i really dont care too much about what the dividers look like.because ill be doing moss so im not picky

It will be in a few months, so i have time to plan, but im going to have drip system, canister and sump running from day 1 so that should really help

Dispite what you say, although it can be possible, it is advise that you don't keep males together!!!!!!! In fact most bettas do well separated as the male can kill the female even in s breeding setup. Also if condos are used it is advised that they not be place next to each other where males are insight of each other, it's considered cruel to cause such stress.

I actually had a similiar idea but was gonna use a 30 gallon and divide into 3 10s with different color schemes in each section to compliment each betta (all different colors)...a led bubble wand in the back of each section too would add to the color unless your looking for a natural look..my 2 cents though don't even risk the headache of trying to get them to coexist if anything just add a different species if you are just looking for added movement

I've done it. Here is my divided tank.

image-2075115298.jpg

image-2543583862.jpg

image-2301305831.jpg

Its 100L (26g) divided into 4 sections. One section is half the tank (about 13g) with 3 juvenile females and the other sections are just over 4 gallons each with a crowntail male in each. They can see each other through the dividers. One male and the females can see each other. So far it's been 2-3 weeks with the males and 1 week with the females and everything is going great. Very early days yet. I can tell you the males flared at each other for the first week but there was no attacking dividers or pacing back and forth. No stressing. They now ignore each other completely. They know each section is their own and the other bettas are in theirs. The females occasionally look through the divider at the male they can see but neither have ever flared or stressed over each other.

(I do have back up plans and this was thought through thoroughly)

That looks great..how did you divide it?store bought dividers or DIY

Mumma.of.two said:
I've done it. Here is my divided tank.

Its 100L (26g) divided into 4 sections. One section is half the tank (about 13g) with 3 juvenile females and the other sections are just over 4 gallons each with a crowntail male in each. They can see each other through the dividers. One male and the females can see each other. So far it's been 2-3 weeks with the males and 1 week with the females and everything is going great. Very early days yet. I can tell you the males flared at each other for the first week but there was no attacking dividers or pacing back and forth. No stressing. They now ignore each other completely. They know each section is their own and the other bettas are in theirs. The females occasionally look through the divider at the male they can see but neither have ever flared or stressed over each other.

(I do have back up plans and this was thought through thoroughly)

See, its possible to do things against the norm, but you have to be well versed in the species, and prepared, as you are, to do the nessicary should a problem arise.
Also flaring isnt nessicarily stressful, its probobly good excercise, and as long as there not trapped together no where to run, im still firm a no divider setup is possible, but again, once you understand the species care of life needs, you can start asking expierence of others, and youll find out its possible

Mrc8858 said:
That looks great..how did you divide it?store bought dividers or DIY

DIY. Plastic craft mesh and book binders. I got lucky because the binders where exactly the same length as the tank is wide. Perfect fit without cutting. The mesh was too short so I had to use fishing line to stitch an extra piece on. Buried the bottoms and pushed them up against the lid so completely Betta proof.

hippy guy said:
And yeah thats pimp, looks very well done, nice clear clean water, happy bright fisheys, goodjob!

Thanks. I'm not worried about flaring at all. It's just them showing off and establishing territories. I occasionally put mirrors up for my single bettas in non divided tanks to encourage it. I'm sure it is possible in a massive tank to have no dividers but personally I wouldn't risk it at all.

I kept a. Hex tank divided 3 ways about 10 yrs ago when I was 12 and had one male jump into the other section for hours (keep in mind they're in 3.3 gallon sections so kinda small) and they had no problems with eachother...I still removed them because I wasnt risking a fight while I wasn't present but it just goes to show yes males CAN be kept together BUT even seeing it first hand I still would not try it

There is someone on here that has a betta pond, a few hundred gallons or somthing, ill see if i cant dig it up... it was an nteresting build read

Back
Top Bottom