Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

multiple bettas in single tank

Soo, ive got a few tanks going, and i had an idea. I want to put 4 male bettas into a 60 gal tank. Super plant it, and of course attempt shrimp life in these super planted sections. My question, can this be done safely? I know tank dividders exists, are they safe, reliable, and humane for the bettas? I was going to moss the dividers up to keep too much visibility between tanks... what do you guys feel on this?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

If divided correctly so they can't squeeze through the sides or jump over the top I can't see a problem with it.
Are they going to have separate filters? If not you'll want to make sure there is adequate water flow through the dividers.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That was my plan, and a single canister filter, and was hoping to rig a drip system of sorts to keep the bettas happy, with a mini waterfall on one part for the vampire shrimp to filter on (hed prolly also like the filter intake, because it would bring all sorts of goodies his way lol)
Old 01-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you want another option, im not saying do thsi, but this is what i tried

you know how aggressive fish or fish aggressive when pairing off like angels need groups of 3

I added 3 MALE BETTAS into my 72G WITH NO DIVIDERS and there are still no issues
btw, i did this around 2-3 months ago

I figure it would be easily possible with a smaller much more densely planted tank.....or maybe just do a female betta sorority?
good luck
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm, iduno, id atleast get see thru dividers and then see whats up with them. My fish have all been cool with shrimp and neons, but bettas can also be unpredictable... well see what happens
Old 01-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy guy View Post
Hmm, iduno, id atleast get see thru dividers and then see whats up with them. My fish have all been cool with shrimp and neons, but bettas can also be unpredictable... well see what happens
I agree, you could try no dividers. However I would do it when you have the whole day to observe their behavior. Still yet I would probably just do dividers. You sound like you have a great idea here.

Why buy what you can DIY?
adadkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, i only wish i could get a divider that allows fish and shrimp and snails, but no betta...alas, ive no clue how to do that.
One of my betta tanks has some neon tetras, and another has shrimp, including a vampire shrimp...maybe a small tunnel at bottom of the screen or somthing? Either way, all the fish inverts and snails would still be in bigger tanks, even sectioned off, so i guess its ok...

Also, no wall can hold snails, so i guess they will just climb over or dig under now that i think about it... maybe shrimp would catch on..
Old 01-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would try, in a tank that large, to just add the bettas no dividers. I know with most fish that are aggresive toward their species (well maybe not most but quiet a few) that if the line of sight is broken you are ok. If it is heavily planted then that would break line of sight. They may still nip alittle to defend territory but not enough to hurt each other (it might be fun to watch). That is just what I would try though...
Old 01-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will try no dividers, but only on a safe day. Im currently working 7days a week doing in home senior care, so my time is limited....if only i could set up a live video feed of my tank. Accesible via cellpphone at all times...epic haha
Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

I would NOT recommend adding multiple male bettas in a tank without dividers. I've had a group of females go after one another in a heavily planted 45 gallon to the point where they had to be separated. They were relentless in pursuing each other no matter how many breaks in the line of sight. I've had the same experiences with males, only worse. I used to work at a shop, and we tried using "betta condos" in some 55 gallon community tanks to separate the males. Well, they slipped out of the "betta condos" and it wasn't uncommon to find them shredded from fighting with each other by opening time the next day.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, bettas, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com