multiple bettas in single tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Soo, ive got a few tanks going, and i had an idea. I want to put 4 male bettas into a 60 gal tank. Super plant it, and of course attempt shrimp life in these super planted sections. My question, can this be done safely? I know tank dividders exists, are they safe, reliable, and humane for the bettas? I was going to moss the dividers up to keep too much visibility between tanks... what do you guys feel on this?

If divided correctly so they can't squeeze through the sides or jump over the top I can't see a problem with it.
Are they going to have separate filters? If not you'll want to make sure there is adequate water flow through the dividers.

That was my plan, and a single canister filter, and was hoping to rig a drip system of sorts to keep the bettas happy, with a mini waterfall on one part for the vampire shrimp to filter on (hed prolly also like the filter intake, because it would bring all sorts of goodies his way lol)

If you want another option, im not saying do thsi, but this is what i tried

you know how aggressive fish or fish aggressive when pairing off like angels need groups of 3

I added 3 MALE BETTAS into my 72G WITH NO DIVIDERS and there are still no issues
btw, i did this around 2-3 months ago

I figure it would be easily possible with a smaller much more densely planted tank.....or maybe just do a female betta sorority?
good luck:)

Hmm, iduno, id atleast get see thru dividers and then see whats up with them. My fish have all been cool with shrimp and neons, but bettas can also be unpredictable... well see what happens

Hmm, iduno, id atleast get see thru dividers and then see whats up with them. My fish have all been cool with shrimp and neons, but bettas can also be unpredictable... well see what happens

I agree, you could try no dividers. However I would do it when you have the whole day to observe their behavior. Still yet I would probably just do dividers. You sound like you have a great idea here.

Yeah, i only wish i could get a divider that allows fish and shrimp and snails, but no betta...alas, ive no clue how to do that.
One of my betta tanks has some neon tetras, and another has shrimp, including a vampire shrimp...maybe a small tunnel at bottom of the screen or somthing? Either way, all the fish inverts and snails would still be in bigger tanks, even sectioned off, so i guess its ok...

Also, no wall can hold snails, so i guess they will just climb over or dig under now that i think about it... maybe shrimp would catch on..

I would try, in a tank that large, to just add the bettas no dividers. I know with most fish that are aggresive toward their species (well maybe not most but quiet a few) that if the line of sight is broken you are ok. If it is heavily planted then that would break line of sight. They may still nip alittle to defend territory but not enough to hurt each other (it might be fun to watch). That is just what I would try though...

I will try no dividers, but only on a safe day. Im currently working 7days a week doing in home senior care, so my time is limited....if only i could set up a live video feed of my tank. Accesible via cellpphone at all times...epic haha

I would NOT recommend adding multiple male bettas in a tank without dividers. I've had a group of females go after one another in a heavily planted 45 gallon to the point where they had to be separated. They were relentless in pursuing each other no matter how many breaks in the line of sight. I've had the same experiences with males, only worse. I used to work at a shop, and we tried using "betta condos" in some 55 gallon community tanks to separate the males. Well, they slipped out of the "betta condos" and it wasn't uncommon to find them shredded from fighting with each other by opening time the next day.

Well, dividers is probobly going to be. My answer, because im too worried about an accident, and one of my betttas, bruiser, wont be nice to even a neon tetra, so i figure hed be a problem right there. As far as dividers, ill probobly do clear, attach some moss maybe...i wish fishys could pass through the dividers, though

I would NOT recommend adding multiple male bettas in a tank without dividers. I've had a group of females go after one another in a heavily planted 45 gallon to the point where they had to be separated. They were relentless in pursuing each other no matter how many breaks in the line of sight. I've had the same experiences with males, only worse. I used to work at a shop, and we tried using "betta condos" in some 55 gallon community tanks to separate the males. Well, they slipped out of the "betta condos" and it wasn't uncommon to find them shredded from fighting with each other by opening time the next day.
But that is not all bettas. Some are more peaceful.... Just mho but I would try most dividers first. Just watch over them. Even if they fight they usually heal (if you catch it before they are dead). Thai people fight them and they just seperate them afterwards and let them heal. They rarely die.

GodFan said:
But that is not all bettas. Some are more peaceful.... Just mho but I would try most dividers first. Just watch over them. Even if they fight they usually heal (if you catch it before they are dead). Thai people fight them and they just seperate them afterwards and let them heal. They rarely die.

If it can be avoided, it should. If you had two dogs that fought and you kept putting them in the same yard, then separating them, letting them heal, then putting them together again is that ok??

My votes with the dividers. The chances of them fighting is more than them coexisting in the same tank.

If it can be avoided, it should. If you had two dogs that fought and you kept putting them in the same yard, then separating them, letting them heal, then putting them together again is that ok??

My votes with the dividers. The chances of them fighting is more than them coexisting in the same tank.
Ok you have seen my posts on here and know I am for treating these animals right. Also that isnt what I said. I said to try it. If it didnt work then dont try again. Please dont treat me like a fish torturer because you have seen and read my posts defending right treatment for these animals.

It would look pretty cool IMO if your dividers were all mossy. It would be a neat effect and still good for the bettas. I have never personally tried any of those dividers in tanks. I have heard about bettas getting through when people were not super diligent about covering up spaces. If you are doing moss though, I bet you could also shove moss into spaces where a betta could fit to help the integrity of the dividers. :)

GodFan said:
Ok you have seen my posts on here and know I am for treating these animals right. Also that isnt what I said. I said to try it. If it didnt work then dont try again. Please dont treat me like a fish torturer because you have seen and read my posts defending right treatment for these animals.

I wasn't accusing you of anything. My point was that they do fight. We all know that. There is not point in even trying multiple in a tank IMHO.

I was going to use diviters with tiny holes in it, i guess for water movement. The moss will look cool, and also it will help make the tank look bigger i feel. Also if i am going with sections. What do yall think about each section being a different themed planted setup? Like one section one type, the next another type...i think it be neato

hippy guy said:
I was going to use diviters with tiny holes in it, i guess for water movement. The moss will look cool, and also it will help make the tank look bigger i feel. Also if i am going with sections. What do yall think about each section being a different themed planted setup? Like one section one type, the next another type...i think it be neato

That sounds like a great idea.
http://usafishbox.forumotion.com/t3105-simple-canvas-betta-tank-divider
Here is a DIY tank divider that you can custom build for your tank.

I wasn't accusing you of anything. My point was that they do fight. We all know that. There is not point in even trying multiple in a tank IMHO.
IMHO It can be attempted. In a very heavily planted they may not see each other.

Back
Top Bottom