Multiple Questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deluxechev

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here goes…I’m trying to get my nitrate level down in my tank. It’s somewhere between 80-100. I'm changing 12 gallons twice a week in my 60 gallon tank. I'm on week 3 and the levels aren't dropping. Am I expecting results too soon?

How much is too much and how often is two often? Can I change 20% every 3 days? Is my tank over crowded?

This set up has been running about 9 months. The fish count hasn’t changes in 3-4 months. I run a cascade canister rated at 100 gallons. I vacuum out the crap from the bottom of the tank as I do my water changes. 3 weeks ago I moved the all the sand around releasing any trapped for the tank over two days. I was surprised at how much crap I got out in that major cleaning. These are my boys…

Buttikoferi Cichlid (1 X 5”)
Duboisi Cichlid (1 X 4”)
Blue Peacock Cichlid (1 X 4”)
Unidentified fish with shape of a Peacock, only chaos coloring like a Blue Johanni Cichlid(1 X 3”)
Kenyi Cichlid (2 X 3”)
Red Zebra Cichlid (1 X 3”)
Electric Yellow Cichlid(1 X 3”)
Another unidentified fish with shape of a Zebra with shades of blue stripping. (1 X 3”)
Boesamani Rainbows (4 X 2.5”) :?
Synodontis Eupterus Catfish (1 X 3”)

PS - I know I got crazy with my selection, and I have fish that have no business in that tank, but at the time I put my tank together I didn’t know any better :oops: and hadn’t found this site yet. I picked them based on their appearance. There are fights, but no signs of injuries. Lots of caves and tunnels. The Rainbows were actually the first ones I got (they were a gift) and they’ve survived the jump in tank size from 30 to 60, and the addition of more cichlids twice. I’ve since been learning a great deal, have tossed those worthless test strips and am giving my fish the attention they deserve. As I already mentioned, I’m working on my nitrate. Everything else appears to be ok.

I know I got crazy with my selection
That is pretty crazy! Watch out when the cichlids become sexually mature and there are fights over breeding rights and territories. Be prepared to move fish (voice of experience here :wink:).

You need to change more of the water. Most fish do fine with 40 all the way up to 80ppm of nitrate, but it is best to get it down. The reason the level is not dropping is due to more nitrate being produced than being removed. You take some out, time goes bye, the bacteria in the filter break down ammonia into nitrite then into nitrate.
Each week you can remove 20-25% of the water safely during PWC while vacuuming. For now, do the 20% change every three days and you should see the nitrates go down. If you do not, there is a problem. Have you tested the nitrate level right after a PWC?

I'm testing nitrate once a week a few hours after the second water change. I'll start testing a few hours after every change to see if it goes down at all. Also, I read on this site the tap water may be carring nitrates. I haven't been testing my tap for nitrates but I will start. What levels are acceptable for tap water and what should I do if the level are beyond acceptable?

It is a good idea to know what the water parameters are of your tap water. The best way is to allow the tap water to sit out over night and allow the gases to equilibrate. Then test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. I have no idea what acceptable nitrate levels are in the tap water.

If the tap water has too much nitrate you can mix it 50/50 with R/O or distilled water.

I think your problem is the amount you are changing. E.g. you need to do a 50% to get the levels to 40 ppm from 80ppm. If the level was 80ppm and you did a ~20% pwc your levels would get to ~64ppm. Then by next change they could be back up above 80 again.

I would do a 25% change in the a.m. and another 25% change in the p.m. for 2 - 3 days in a row until you are happy with the levels. Initially I'd aim for 5-10ppm.

Your pwc regime seems to be maintaining levels fairly constant. You could go 3 times a week if you needed. If I were in that situation I would get the nitrate levels to 5ppm then monitor levels as the weeks progressed, if levels rose rapidly then you could do 20% three times a week. If that didn't work try 30% three times a week.

Back
Top Bottom