Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2014, 12:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Multiple shrimp questions

1. I was wondering what kind of shrimp are sold at petco? At petsmart all I saw was ghost shrimp. 2. Another thing I was wondering is what kind of shrimp can go together in a 5 gallo- I like cherries and I've never had shrimp before so I was wondering what kind of shrimp would go in a 5 gallon?
3. Do shrimp require heaters?
4. Are live plants required?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-18-2014, 12:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is a pretty good chart:

http://www.planetinverts.com/Will%20...nterbreed.html

Old 05-18-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy10 View Post
1. I was wondering what kind of shrimp are sold at petco? At petsmart all I saw was ghost shrimp. 2. Another thing I was wondering is what kind of shrimp can go together in a 5 gallo- I like cherries and I've never had shrimp before so I was wondering what kind of shrimp would go in a 5 gallon?
3. Do shrimp require heaters?
4. Are live plants required?

Thanks in advance
I have only ever seen ghost shrimp at Petco or petsmart.

I ordered 10 red cherry shrimp from a person on ebay a couple months ago. My first shrimp. Still have 9 alive. 5 females now have saddles. Hoping for babies soon.Since adding black eco substrate the shrimp have turned really red.

I plan to get some orange bee and some yellow bee shrimp later. From the chart it says they would be ok together.

I have a small heater in my 10 gal. Just to keep the temp constant. You don't need one if your room stays warm. I wanted one for my plants mostly. What is your water temp without a heater? If it's below 70 degrees, you should get a heater.

You don't need live plants. My shrimp were doing just fine hanging on plastic plants. I fed them crushed algae wafers.
But I have added some plants because I want a planted/shrimp only aquarium with co2 and the whole thing eventually.
Maybe we can learn together?
Old 05-18-2014, 02:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Shrimp are really great. You can use a 5G. But you would benefit from live plants and a mature tank. A stable and much over size filter with a prefilter sponge on the intake so baby shrimp don't get sucked up and pureed.

You should use Prime water conditioner. Get a API master test kit online is cheapest, I use Hikari Shrimp Cuisine plus tons of other foods.

You do need to watch and make sure you don't over feed. At least a moss ball or two would bee beneficial and make the shrimp happy.

Make sure never to wash your filter pad in tap water that hasn't been treated and shrimp are sensitive to treatments and medicines that have copper, as well as other metals. Use the same filter pad cleaning by rinsing over and just keep it until it falls apart because you can have a healthy amount of Beneficial bacteria /BB, which will keep your tank stable.

Ammonia and Nitrites will kill your shrimp so you need excellent water parameters.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My petco has only one or two cherry shrimp at a time. And lots of ghost shrimp.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCheeks View Post
I have only ever seen ghost shrimp at Petco or petsmart.

I ordered 10 red cherry shrimp from a person on ebay a couple months ago. My first shrimp. Still have 9 alive. 5 females now have saddles. Hoping for babies soon.Since adding black eco substrate the shrimp have turned really red.

I plan to get some orange bee and some yellow bee shrimp later. From the chart it says they would be ok together.

I have a small heater in my 10 gal. Just to keep the temp constant. You don't need one if your room stays warm. I wanted one for my plants mostly. What is your water temp without a heater? If it's below 70 degrees, you should get a heater.

You don't need live plants. My shrimp were doing just fine hanging on plastic plants. I fed them crushed algae wafers.
But I have added some plants because I want a planted/shrimp only aquarium with co2 and the whole thing eventually.
Maybe we can learn together?

Putting those shrimp together they will crossbreed and make mutts that won't be desireable. I would honestly stick to a single neocardinia shrimp species in a tank.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilygupps View Post
My petco has only one or two cherry shrimp at a time. And lots of ghost shrimp.

I've not seen them at Petco but a nearby LFS carries them. A little costly (~$4-5 a piece). I find better deals and nicer quality from fellow AA members.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You could join a state or local fish club, for friends and connections.

You could also ask the fish department manager if they could order you something you want. Go in and check on a time of day where they aren't swamped with customers.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

They can be done in a five but I've always seen recommended min of 10g tanks.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...25&pcatid=2725

As others have stated, an HOB should have a sponge on the intake or simply go with a lone sponge filter instead.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3954

Also as some have pointed out, there's a few here that have packages that are much cheaper than an LFS and they've also got great reviews.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Putting those shrimp together they will crossbreed and make mutts that won't be desireable. I would honestly stick to a single neocardinia shrimp species in a tank.
ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimps can not cross breed at all. but it is not recommended to keep ghost shrimps with other shrimps due to there taste for babies and weak adults.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legit Fish View Post
ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimps can not cross breed at all. but it is not recommended to keep ghost shrimps with other shrimps due to there taste for babies and weak adults.
I was referring to the orange and yellow bee shrimp They are just different color morphs of the same shrimp species. They are pure breeds now but putting them together would be like breeding a golden retriever and a beagle together.

The caradina such as the orange bee and neocaradina such as the RCS can be kept together without cross breeding as they are different species.

Ghost shrimp shouldn't be mixed like you said as they will tend to eat other shrimp. They can be fairly territorial and I've seen them duke it out with each other from time to time. I would hate to see what they could do to smaller shrimp.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I got 12 ghost shrimp
Old 05-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Off topic: Mebbid, a golden beagle sounds pretty awesome.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Petco here had some Amano shrimp. I usually have only see ghost shrimp at petsmarco.

Best bet to buy shrimp from fellow hobbyists
Old 05-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400781256.090093.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	238048 i have an armoured shrimp or caramoon or somthing like that. Does anyone know anything about them as i haven't seen it in 2 weeks and don't know where it's gone. I've checked everywhere under all the plants and ornaments and can't see anything. Does anyone know where he might be? I don't have any fish that could eat a shrimp this size either.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Could he have jumped out.?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Do they bury themselves? I don't see how it could jump out as it would have to climp up my waterfall filter to get out :/
Old 05-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayerash View Post
Do they bury themselves? I don't see how it could jump out as it would have to climp up my waterfall filter to get out :/

Do you have a totally enclosed top ? Shrimp don't always walk. They can swim too.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:40 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes, only a small hold at the back but it's covered up by the filter
Old 05-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

The caradina such as the orange bee and neocaradina such as the RCS can be kept together without cross breeding as they are different species.
Thanks for that info. I really would like just one other species, like the orange bee, to go with my red cherries so they don't cross breed.

When people say RCS, are they referring to Red Cherry Shrimp or Red Crystal Shrimp?

Tags
question, questions, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com