Multiple Tank Guilt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhNeil1969

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is for those of us that have more than 1 tank. Do you ever find yourself preferring one tank over the other and giving your "favorite" tank more attention? Right now I find myself devoting more of my attention to my 60 gallon tank and neglecting my 29 gallon tank. When I go to the store, I end up looking for stuff to enhance my 60 gallon tank and I neglect my 29 gallon. When it comes feeding time I always start with the "good" tank. It's gotten to the point that I'm starting to feel a little guilty.

Am I the only one that is experiencing this type of guilt? Let me know how you feel.

I spend the bulk of my time with my 10g, but its next to the computer while my 125 is out in the kitchen area...but as I just bought a new can filter, 2 new bulbs and a new ballast...and a few plants..I don't feel too bad yet

LOL. I ping pong back and forth between my favorite tank. It all depends on my mood for the day. I have 7 to choose from. :)

I don't have that problem...yet. When I buy stuff, I do it for all tanks. Well, I am on an odd number right now. For example, I have two freshwater...what I buy for one, I buy for the other. ven when I was starting up the salt tank I always bought a little something for the fresh...like live brine shrimp...amazing how many ill feelings (from the fish) go away when you bring home the fishie equivalent of chocolate :)

I feed in a circle. The tank to the left of my counter, than the one to the right, then the one in the dining room. It is more ease and flow of direction than "preferential" treatment :)

LOL. I ping pong back and forth between my favorite tank. It all depends on my mood for the day. I have 7 to choose from. :)

I am with Carey. LOL. I have 4 now and I am going back and forth. But I always make sure that every tank has good water parameters. :)

EDIT: When it comes to feeding though, I have a routine. I always start with my tank in my bedroom just because this is the one that is more populated than the other tanks, then I go to the living room, then to the kitchen for that tank. My son's tank (4.4G) don't have any resident right now. So that's my routine. :-D

Last edited:
They all get water changes and treated the same but some are more the pride and joy and get extra attention. The favorite does change.

I give a newly set up tank more attention than one that has been going for a while.

With a new tank I'm cycling and aqua-scaping until I get the desired effect.
The older tanks still get their maintenance, but I don't futz around as much with the scaping because they should be how I want them by that time (although I have been known to re-scape during a routine PWC)

My 29 needs more attention right now then the ten lol. Once I'm done stocking and cycling the ten gallon will be better kept. The Only reason I don't favor the 29 is because the ten is the one with fish in it lol.

I just finished my weekly water changes and have made a commitment :) to enhance the appearance of my "neglected" tank. BTW, even though my 29 gallon doesn't get much of my adoration it still gets the needed work to keep it healthy. I don't want anyone to think that I'm really neglecting the guys that live in that tank.

my tanks get the same amount of attention:)thatll probably change when i get #3 though.

I just completed some upgrades and added some new tank mates to my neglected tank. I still tend to direct more of my attention to my larger tank, but now I have more reasons to spend time with my 29 gallon tank.

Attachments

• _6250819.jpg
    _6250819.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 69
  • _6250818.jpg
    _6250818.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 68
  • _6250820.jpg
    _6250820.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 69
Thanks Carey!

I did make a potentially serious rookie mistake when choosing tank mates however. I went to the lfs without any real idea of what I was going to add to the tank. I figured I'd see what caught my eye and ask if they would be compatible with my current tank mates. I saw a male/female pair of kribensis that caught my eye and asked the sales associate if they would be a good addition to my tank of mollies/danios/platys/corys. She was quite sure that the kribensis would work great in my tank as long as I had a place for them to "nest." When I got home I finally did some research and found that I may be looking at some serious problems when the fish start to breed (and they are supposedly prolific breeders, laying egss every 2-4 weeks). I'm crossing my fingers and hoping things don't get out of hand. Do you or anyone else have any advice? I will take them back if it's an impossible situation.

I just finished my weekly water changes and have made a commitment :) to enhance the appearance of my "neglected" tank. BTW, even though my 29 gallon doesn't get much of my adoration it still gets the needed work to keep it healthy. I don't want anyone to think that I'm really neglecting the guys that live in that tank.

As long as your tanks are getting the maintenance they require ... that's whats important. Besides, I doubt the fish really know whose the favorite!:D

I'm not sure if Kribs can be in with community fish, but I believe they are mellow cichlids. If thats possible. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong......

I'm not sure if Kribs can be in with community fish, but I believe they are mellow cichlids. If thats possible. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong......
they are fairly mellow,but when they spawn,and are gaurding eggs,they can get aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom