Murder in the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackandwhite

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. I believe I have a murderer in my tank. I went to turn the lights on in the tank this morning and noticed one of my platy was dead and stuck in the roots of my plant. This was really surprising to me because he'd had no symptoms and had been totally fine and eating with everyone just the day before. I also noticed my gold severum was just hovering right next to him. As I was pulling the platy out I noticed that his fins moved and that it was actually alive. But both his eyes were gone!

Best I can figure is that someone attacked Babak (my platy's name) and ate his eyes and would probably have finished the job if Maze (my gold severum) hadn't been standing guard.

I don't know if I'm sounding silly or not, but I feel convinced that based on Maze' position and body language that she was standing guard over Babak. She was not pecking at him or anything. Just hovering, with Babak between her and the plant and rock like she was shielding him.

This is not the first time that I've found a perfectly healthy platy dead and partially eaten. The last time I thought maybe my platy was sick and I hadn't noticed it. But this incident, coupled with the fact that I've noticed that one of my Oto's was missing an eye (at the time I thought I'd bought him like that) tells me that I have a serial killer fish.

My roseline sharks (3 of them) and blushing skirt tetras (6 of them) are the most aggressive fish that I have. Although they're mostly aggressive towards each other. The only other fish in the tank are my severum (2) Madagascar rainbow fish (2) rummy nose tetra (6) and platy (now 5). So my question is WHO DID THIS?

I have very little experience with fish. This is my first tank (its 90 gallons, perfect water perimeters) and I did a lot of research to make sure all my fish are compatible, so I just can't understand what has gone wrong. Please if you have any ideas let me know so that I can fix this. I love my platys and can't stand the idea that some fish is hunting them under my watch.

The severum is a cichlid.....

Not much detective work needed here!

Back
Top Bottom