Murky Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I keep the light on 6 hours a day and change the water 20 percent every 2 weeks. The link shows the picture of the tank.

I keep the light on 6 hours a day and change the water 20 percent every 2 weeks. The link shows the picture of the tank.

I cant seem to look at the picture for whatever reason, Probably because im on my phone.

Every 2 weeks? Why not try upping you water change to 30% every week.
I actually do 30% biweekly. Tank 1. Sunday and thursday. Tank 2. Monday and friday. Tank 3. Tuesday and saturday.

Is your tank next to a window?

Okay, I live in CO and I don't have good water at home right now so I have to buy it in the city but the way to the city is a large detour that takes about 3 hours one way so I have to use my water I have sparingly.
My tank is near a window, but the window is covered and the back and sides of the tank are covered also.

I can't access your picture but if you put some tank water in a white cup is the water green tinted? If so you have an algae bloom and no amount of WC's or lower light will help. You have a couple options to get rid of it.

First you can try a 3 day black out. You have to literally cover your entire tank. Front, back, sides, top, and bottom as no light can be allowed to get in. And no peeking or you break the black out cycle. On day 4 uncover the tank and do a 50% WC to remove the dead algae from the water. This may or may not work and the algae bloom can possibly come back if all the free floating algae is not killed.

The other option is getting a UV sterilizer such as this one... Green Killing Machine Internal UV Sterilizer with Power Head at PETCO. Algae will be killed off in about 24-48 hours unless you have a very bad bloom. This is the quickest and most effective way to kill off free floating algae that causes algae blooms.

After the algae bloom is gone you need to only run lights 6 to 8 hours daily and be sure to do a 50% WC weekly to ensure nutrient levels are kept low in your tank.

Hey Rivercats question about the UV sterilizer ... I have one in my 30g tank, I got it to help out with a ICH infestation I had 1-2 months ago.. The tank has been ich free for a long time now.. Im noticing my 55g is getting murky... It isn't clear... I know part of it is the tannins in the water from the driftwood.. but it just seems really dark for simply being tannins...

Anyway is its safe to move over the sterilizer to the 55g.. wash it off in the sink ect.. Or should I keep it in the 30g... Reason I ask is the 30g had Black beard algae all over my plants.. I had to bleach dip them and use 2-3x of my normal liquid CO2 to stop and get rid of the algae.. Im worried its still in the water and maybe I should keep the thing in the tank to kill off the spores floating around. Or I'll spread it to my 55

A UV sterilizer will have nothing to do with killing or keeping BBA out of a tank. Only bacteria, algae, or parasites that actually pass through the unit and UV light are killed. Which is why the work for killing the free floating algae that causes algae blooms but does nothing for algae that grows on things in the tank itself.

Just rinse the until off well and you can always open it and wipe the inner tube off so you get maximum light penetration.

Tannins can make tank water so dark it you can barely see though it if enough are leaching out of a piece of DW. A UV won't help this either. You need carbon or Purgen in your filter to remove it. Also boiling the DW will help pull out tannins.

Yea I cant boil a 3+ foot long piece of driftwood though.. I'll look into purigen.. I do already have 2 carbon filters on the HOB it doesn't seem to do anything

Well I am going to try the covering idea first because I can't get to a store to purchase a UV sterilizer anytime soon. When I have the chance, I will get one.

Yea I cant boil a 3+ foot long piece of driftwood though.. I'll look into purigen.. I do already have 2 carbon filters on the HOB it doesn't seem to do anything

I suggest using the bath tub idea that was posted. Just keep filling the tub with hot water. With a piece that big it can leach way more tannins that even Purgen won't be able to keep up with.

Normal warm water works well too. Large pieces can just be left to soak in the bath.

I have been considering doing this, but was afraid of the wood soaking in any soap or cleaning agent residue that might be present. Am I over thinking it, or is there something you do to make sure there aren't any chemicals present?

Back
Top Bottom