musty smell HELP PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feldci

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Id like you guys to help me with this problem im having. Like the title says, im having a musty smell in my bedroom, which is where my aquarium is. I think the smell is because i dont have any glass canopy and my water evaporates very quickly, but i wanted to know for sure what it is before i go spend some money on a glass canopy. ill give you guys as much info about my tank as i can:

Fishtank parameters:
Ammonia: 0.1ppm
Nitrate NO3: 10ppm
Nitrite NO2: 0ppm
GH: 75ppm
KH: 70ppm
PH: 6.7

Tank size: 55g

Substrate: eco-complete

Decor: 5 large pieces of malaysian driftwood (there is a piece thats not completely submersed, 1/6th of the piece is out of the water)

Filtration: CF500UV, 525 gph

Temp: 77

Lighting: Deep Blue professional solar Xtreme t5 high output. 4 bulbs, 54 watts each. (4 watts/g) 12h ON

CO2 infection, 2 bubble/sec

Water Changes every week, about 30%

Chemicals that i use: API Stress Coat and Trace, phosphorous, Iron, Potassium, Excel, Flourish and Nitrogen from Seachem.

Live Stock: Heavily Planted. 6 1" Ottos, 3 1" Emperor Tetra, 1 2" Hi-Fin golden ram.

Thanks in advance!

With your tank still cycling I'd bump up the number of water changes you're doing.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You mentioned musty smell in your room, is it coming from the tank?
Also could it be as someone mentioned an earthy smell? As you tank settles you will always have a certain smell to it but you might also be lacking on water changes... Hard to tell...

You mentioned musty smell in your room, is it coming from the tank?
Also could it be as someone mentioned an earthy smell? As you tank settles you will always have a certain smell to it but you might also be lacking on water changes. Hard to tell...

Gillie, im not sure, i havent noticed the dmell, my girlfriend did. I already sent her a text but shes at work and shes not answering me, i will let you knoe asap...

The tank is been up and running for over a years, its well cycled, but i chsnged the entire tank to a planted tank, about 1 month ago, but the media is still the same. I just washed the foam in tank water ...

She said that the smell is like a wet/earthy smell. She says that she cant really tell. But its more like a earthy smell ...

But gillie, she said that its a strong smell and im concerned because i got used to the smell and i dont smell it anymore you know ... i dont want my room to stink .... what if i get a canopy top ? Will it stop the water from evaporating ?

Earthy is good- that means it is healthy and established.

If it bothers her a cover/splash guard should cut the smell

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How far away can she or you smell it from? I only smell mine really close to the aquarium, but then again it's in a large room so the smell might dissipate more. Are you in a humid climate? Hopefully the water evaporating isn't adding to existing humidity and causing mold in your room...

This odor or smell sometimes is more pronounced after a water change or stirring the tanks water.
I could be wrong but I have noticed more of the smell in planted tanks especially with algae in them.

Hmmm random- by chance does she have any plant/pollen allergies? If she does maybe it is somehow linked and she is more sensitive to "nature smells" than you?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks to everyone that helped. Im getting a glass canopy top. Thank you one more time :D

Back
Top Bottom