my 10 gallion build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdp242

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 10 gallon planted tank with the following.

4 platies
1 dwarf peppermint catfish
1 dwarf ottoo

It is diffferently interesting watching the otto and catfish. They love swimming around each other and actually get along very well!

Anything else you think I could add 1 of?

Dwarf Gouramis are awesome fish. Great centerpiece fish. You could also add some little ghost shrimp. They are a lot of fun to watch around the tank.

I think a dwarf gouramis sounds like a winner

Dwarf Gouramis are awesome fish. Great centerpiece fish. You could also add some little ghost shrimp. They are a lot of fun to watch around the tank.

Wont platies eat ghost shrimp? I did add dwarf gouramis!

The oto would really prefer friends. When you say "dwarf peppermint catfish", do you mean a peppermint pleco? He'll get 7" and shouldn't be kept in a 10g. That, and two algae eaters in a 10g probably means one (or both) isn't getting enough to eat, unless you're supplementing.

Four platies is actually a decent stocking level for a 10g. Four platies + a DG is doable, but you will have a sizable bioload.

you can put more then just 6 fish in a 10 gallon tank...I've done it plenty of times...just make sure you over filtrate your tank and your good...and do weekly water changes...how about some mollies...black mollies...white mollies...sail fin mollies...pearl mollies...umm...platys...snails...for the fun of it just throw in a baby oscar...just kidding...don't do that lol...painted tetras...skirt tetras...sword tails

I wouldn't recommend mollies or sword tail in a 10g, and you would need to get a school of either tetra species, which would definitely lead to a crowded tank. Considering that most schooling species, skirts especially, can get nippy if crammed into small tanks with low numbers, and you're asking for a problem.

It's not a matter of filtration, it's a matter of making sure that the fish's needs are met, which includes giving fish enough space to be comfortable

I've kept 3 mollies...3 platys...3 skirt tetras...2 columbian teras...one dojo eel...2 giant danios and 1 betta in a 10 gallon tank...they were all perfectly fine

I've kept 3 mollies...3 platys...3 skirt tetras...2 columbian teras...one dojo eel...2 giant danios and 1 betta in a 10 gallon tank...they were all perfectly fine

That's a tank that is both overstocked and poorly stocked. Mollies will get too big. The columbian tetras, skirts, and danios all will want a group of 6+. The danios will also outgrow the tank. Dojos prefer cooler water and will get too big. The betta probably wasn't particularly happy with his home either, as the filter capacity needed to maintain such a tank would have created too much current for him.

AqAdvisor , while a flawed system, can provide you with a basic idea of the viability of a setup. While further research must be done, it's a good starting point for someone new to the hobby.

all my fish were perfectly fine like I said...happy and swimming...I had a beautiful 10 gallon tank...they survived for years...my betta was extremely happy...never stopped swimming...always was exploring...overstocking is perfectly fine...depends if the fish get along with each other and if you have good filtration...funny how everybody talks about ph and cycling and all these other things...I've never cycled a tank in my life...never worried about ph...added one solution...water conditioner and my fish were always happy go lucky...yes they were...a lot of the money people waste on this hobby is ridiculous

pookie71384 said:

That is torture for fish Mollies and swords need at least 30 gallons skirts need schools of at least 4 an so do danios. There is no way they were perfectly fine. Just out of curiosity how long did they live

The reason your fish were able to cling to life for so long was because all the fish you had were hardy. Try to keep angels or discus in a non cycled tank.

I agree aquavisor is garbage never trust it

I wouldn't call it garbage. It's square one. It's flawed but a good starting point, especially if someone isn't committed to a setup yet.

But yes, the above described 10g is a poster child for how not to stock a tank. Even AqAdviser thinks it's bad.

Think what you want IMO the people who use it should simply individually research the fish they want to get and see of they are compatible and research their minimum tank size etc.

I have kept angels in a tank that was not cycled...they grew to be adults and had babys...and the fish that I had in my ten gallon I had them for about six years

Surprising FYI if angels grow to be adults the tank eventually cycles on its own you must have been doing 80 percent water changes daily and the angels can't of been that young when you got them because the younger they are the less hardy they are.

I got the angels when they were babys...tiny...and I was only doing 15% water changes a week

Back
Top Bottom