My 180 Gallon Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t-bone

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all!!

I got this tank, stand, and a bunch more junk for $150. I think it was a steal. It is a little dirty but I think it will clean up nice. I will post progress and pics as the build progresses.

72"x21"x25

About 160 gallons

Attachments

• IMG_5552.jpg
    IMG_5552.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_5558.jpg
    IMG_5558.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_5559.jpg
    IMG_5559.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_5560.jpg
    IMG_5560.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 508
Err mahh gerdddd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good deal !
Interested in following the build..
I love my 180,it's the only tank that never gets changed around..Some fish are 10+ years old..

Nice I like it! What type of lighting do you have? I wonder if the retrofit lighting in the hood of my new tank is worth salvaging? There are some pics above. Either get them working and get new bulbs or invest in LED. What do you think?

Got the monster out of the truck. Made a "water wagon". Worked like a charm. Now on to cleaning and checking.
IMG_5573.jpgIMG_5574.jpgIMG_5575.jpg

Nice !
I would go with some LEDS.
Those there are MH[ metal halide] and even if only 175 watts each will throw some heat as well as use more electricity then needed.Also similar to fluorescent tubes the MH actually need regular replacing also...
Those bulbs could be as high as 400 watts each ! I have a 4' fixture with 2@250 MH in it from years ago...They are best suited to marine uses IMO.
I use LEDS but are old like me and surprisingly still not very cheap..Current True lumen PROS .I have no real issue with them ,but would not recommend them today for the price.
Look into Finnex or Beamsworks and do at least 2 untis that are 1/2 the tank length IMO.

I am going to get two 36 inch Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 SE. I like the cycle it goes through. Looks nice changing color spectrum through the day.

Also the aquarium has been sitting for four years and is probably 10 - 15 years old too. Should I reseal it just to be on the safe side? The silicone doesn't look bad just has a few nicks and some edges are a peeling a little. I plan to have it set up for years and I don't really want to tear it down again for a seal job in a few years.

I can't say whether to seal or not..
I can say I have several O'Dell tanks from the 70s-80s that spent of few winters and summer in my garage attic and still hold water. I have yet to re seal one tank in my life yet...
That being said sometimes 'peace of mind' is worth more then all the money in the world...You need to do what makes you comfortable to enjoy the tank for long time IMO.
Big tanks always make new owners sweat just a little more then usual...

That's awesome bud. I just got mine for the same price great deal. I agree with coralb though I have been sweating profusely more than normal about this monster...

I think I am going to reseal. The overflows have some crappy silicone work on them. Plus I am going to polish out some scratches and surface haze in the glass too.

This guy really liked bio-balls about 25 gallons there. Are they worth a flip for bio media? I was starting to clean out the sump and strip it down for a reseal.

IMG_5563.jpg

Bio balls no bueno. Get some ceramic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nothing really wrong with bio balls.Looks like some of the original orange ones in there?
I think all bio is a waste and will in time become a nitrate factory.Some want this?
I use 2 sponges no bigger then Aquaclear 110s in my sump for my 180s bio..No joke I squeeze them out just like a regular sponge...No anything else besides mechanicals for me...I wish I had all the money I wasted on bio ....SPONGES, I am the SPONGE GUY..
No joke ...YEARS...
The bio balls will be a real pain to clean if/when they get cruddy..Ask me how I know....

Good point...I like sponges too. This is a 55 gallon tank that the previous owner was using for a trickle sump. What size sump tank do you have on your 180? Would a 55 be too big or would a different size tank with better dimensions make a better sump? I have an old 29 gallon or could buy a new 40 breeder or something. This tank is in need of a reseal and the bottom plastic support is cracked on the corner. With the dollar a gallon sale coming up that would be a good time to switch. Thanks for the advice too. I just want to do it right the first time and not have to tear stuff down in a year or two.

I like 12" wide sumps because they are easy to use mechanical media like sponges in.The 40b can work but I use a 10g turtle tank inside my 30b to create proper flow channels.
I use the marineland model 4 sump with the bio wheels taken out even though they were made of sponge..Still to big to ring out and clean well when needed.I have a29g waterbridged to the model 4 for more volume..I can let like 20g evap before I have to top off.
This is my model4 and 29
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/99907-albums14345-picture69017.jpg

Back
Top Bottom