my 5 gal betta attempt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
well i have had george in aalittle eclipse tank for almost 2 years now. it was only like 2 gallons and didnt allow him very much swimming room so i thought i would give him a fresh start. i had some spare eco complete from when i re did my 20 gal so i threw that in. i had an extra light from when i changed out the hoods on my 55 gal. and i had some extra plants growing so i thought why not. all that along with a little 5 gal, an penguin mini and an old heater and away i went lol. i dont have many plants right now since i just stripped my tank out for the re do. but i did have tond of moss and a little hygro polysperma to try. the light is an 18" 15 watt t-8 strip. it overhangs a little on each side but i am gonna say i have low lighting conditions at the least. i an gonna make something a little more permanant once the money allows. found some old rocks and tied some java and christmas moss to them. threw them in and i had to move over the old ornament from georges tanks cause he was soo used to hiding in it i didnt want to shock him. the move went smoothly and he is doin great. still not used to the current that the penguin is making but i hope he adapts soon. here is the tank so far. i am gonna look into some other low light plants untill i get a new light. then i was planning a carpet of HC and alot more moss.
the polysperma is a little beaten up casue it was in my cichlid tank.
img_685535_0_9c88abcf254db2ae188f869d5bf77f80.jpg

img_685535_1_a77cf2fc4a8c1f691030c46dcf849ed2.jpg

You're off to a great start! I like the aquascaping arrangement. The hygro should fill in fast, even though it's low light for now. Does the filter have a flow adjustment? I have had the Eclipse acrylic tanks in the past - those filters didn't have a way to turn the flow down but I thought the Penguin mini might.

nope. no adjustment at all. thats why i prefer the aqua clear filters but unfortunatly i dont have an extra one if those i gave it to my dad when i set up an aquarium for him. maybe i will trade him.....

Cool looking tank mr.funktastic. Looking good. I'll be seeing you next week, Thurs or Fri, not sure which day. HC will look great in that tank. It will cover that front before you know it :)

i cant put the HC in there yet unfortunatly. my light is wayyy to weak for it. i will be hooking up my old hagen co2 onto this tank once i get some more plants to put in it. i was thinking about getting a hanging pendant light to put over top with a spiral screw in CF bulb. i keep forgetting this is a 5 gallon and not a 10 so it will be alot easier to get the light up. what light would someone suggest buying?i was thinking the single 28 watt coralife one. any opinions?

Looking good!

I just love those little tanks. I'll be moving my 5.5gal into my office sometime next week. A planted tank with a male Betta with a few neons or rasboras will look nice...

azn_fishy55 said:
What about the Coralife Mini 9x18 watt CF light.I intend to use this fixture when I *actually* set-up a 5 gallon for my shrimpies.

Ummmm... Did you mean 2x9watt for a total of 18watts?

opps typo...XD.Yeah I meant 2x9 watt=18 watt.Okay I should stop posting extra early in the morning because I guess my brain isn't ready yet. lol

lol that was actually the exact light i was looking at. but i am gonna want this tank to be highlight. and i was under the impression that smaller tanks need more light to make it at that level? or would 18watts hive me high light after u consider it is CF lighting?

lol thanks JC. i hope it does as well as in the other tanks. it wont grow nearly as fast though becasue the light is dramatically lower than the other tank.

mr funktastic said:
lol that was actually the exact light i was looking at. but i am gonna want this tank to be highlight. and i was under the impression that smaller tanks need more light to make it at that level? or would 18watts hive me high light after u consider it is CF lighting?

I've got 36 watts CF light over my 5.5 gallon and would consider it borderline highlight. You'll definately want more than the Coralife Aqualite Mini 2x9watt.

i was looking at making my own light again. i can get a really powerful light over that if i make it myself. but it is going to have to be t-5 or t-8. i will look into the ballast when i get some cash.

well here is the update!! after a nice visit with glenc i got some new stuff for my tanks.no need to describe it lol casue here are the pictures!!
close p of the clumps of HC
img_689612_0_bf160ac87ca6151817c919b62b1c5cd6.jpg

this is how much i had after planting my 5 gal!! it is double layered in that bowl!!
img_689612_1_9ff630e51aa51e52aae329a9430cfed1.jpg

and here is the whole wonderful tank. i just added co2. u can see it in the backround. and also i added 14 more watts of t-6 lighting. i thik i am at high light now. i am sure the cuba will tell me if i am or not.
img_689612_2_6cff206e3c0c7ea313a04ff54f57dab0.jpg

and here is glenC himself!! and me but we can ignore me lol. we thought the AA members would get a kick out of seeing the members unite in person to takle the amazing planted tank! lol i look big compared to him but im really not lol. (Glens on the left im on the right)
img_689612_3_3bf74156be322b987c6d5ed609a73a62.jpg

i have 14 watts of t-6 lighting and 15 watts of t-8 lighting. so 29 watts giv ortake because of the conversion factor. i am sure i am at high light now. i just put my co2 system running full steam and i will see how things are going on monday. i still have lots of the cuba so i may plant a bit more when my patience builds back up.

Hey mr funktastic, tanks look great! Who are those two good looking dudes?! Very cool. It was really nice to meet you in person, We'll trade more stuff another time. Again, the tanks look great and that HC should take off nice for you.

i think i loook pretty damn sexy in that pic lol but i guessits just glen making me look good in contrast lol jk jk. i will try to meet as many fellow AA members as i can. if they are even half as nice as glen i will be happy. i would love to meet an american AA member. but i am sure the time will come. as for the tank i am building a hood this weeeknd to house the 14" t-6 light and i found out my ballast that is running my 15 watt t-8 will also powerthe 14 watt t-6 so i am making a hood to hold the 2 14" t-6 bulbs putting me at 28 watts of t-6 lighting. anyone know the conversion? what would my light really be at compared to size and type of bulb?

Back
Top Bottom