My 5 gallon setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I had a couple build threads and stocking threads for this tank and i finally got it pretty much setup! What I ended up doing is this:
I have pothos vine growing up and out of the tank. I have water sprite floating on top (growing out a bit). I have black sand (will be switching to white or white black mix possibly) and a piece of PVC (Crays).
So my plans are to get rid of the hood (its by a window and doesnt need the light) and let the plants grow wild in and out of the tank. I might go with white sand to make it easier to see the fish since I wont have a light. The pvc is leaving and I am going to have some natural rock instead. The pothos roots and the rock will look cool. So I am axing the crays (escapee self cloning) and probably gonna get some dwarf crays or shrimp with an unknown fish species.
I have one thing Im unsure of though. I can already go a couple months without a water change because of the duckweed and pothos vine. Sooooo, I was thinking. What if I got rid of the heater, filter, and air stone and just ran a powerhead toward some rock? Or hook the air pump to a filter cartridge to make a improvised sponge filter? What could I stock the tank with at room temp? The house gets down to 67 (winter 68 summer) and up to 76 in the summer. It is also by a window but Im not sure how much of a difference it will make. Thoughts?
I have kinda made a low maintenance tank accidentally. I wanna keep it that way. My bro might use the tank for breeding (guppy, endler, or hybrids) It will need to be watched more carefully then but Im terrible at water changes!
One other question. Can a scarlet badis be kept at room temp?

Thanks for reading and God bless!

P.S. The tank goes a long time w/o pwc because of low stocking and greedy plants (pothos vine and duckweed. They love the nutrients). But I watch the tank and if anything seems wrong it will be taken care of.

I noticed nobody commented here, and I wanted to comment because I'm creating a tank which seems similar to yours!

I'm already succeeding, too..

Mine is a 5 gal, and it will remain a pretty planted tank with shrimp and micro fish.

I personally wouldn't do guppies, because they are NOT low waste. :\

Endlers quickly populate the tank, causing the same outcome.

It kinda defeats our 'sustainable tank' idea, huh.

I noticed nobody commented here, and I wanted to comment because I'm creating a tank which seems similar to yours!

I'm already succeeding, too..

Mine is a 5 gal, and it will remain a pretty planted tank with shrimp and micro fish.

I personally wouldn't do guppies, because they are NOT low waste. :\

Endlers quickly populate the tank, causing the same outcome.

It kinda defeats our 'sustainable tank' idea, huh.
Yep lol thats true. However I would only be using it to house breeding endlers. So at most 2 adults at a time and then their young. I would like to hear about your setup! I have found duckweed, pothos vine, an water sprite to be good nutrient absorbers.nI just added a really cool new snail too! It is a trumpet snail with spikes all over it!

Are you perhaps referring to a horned nerite?

Check the link in my sig to learn more about my tank!

It's got a moss floor now, with three Marimo moss balls. Ive got the slightest bit of duckweed which I'm sure will reproduce soon.

I'll add salvinia and some kind of Brazilian stem plant (I forgot its name at the moment) and perhaps java fern.

The goal of the tank is to remove all cycle needs from a tank! Of course the stocking has to stay small bioload, but it should increase lifespan and the characteristics of the stocked animals.

I'll house RCS, Boras briggate (chili boras) and micro crabs or cpos. Which ever is less to ship / purchase.

I like the cpos because they will sell well to others when they reproduce, and I like the crabs because I'm more of a crab person!

Comment on my thread!

Are you perhaps referring to a horned nerite?

Check the link in my sig to learn more about my tank!

It's got a moss floor now, with three Marimo moss balls. Ive got the slightest bit of duckweed which I'm sure will reproduce soon.

I'll add salvinia and some kind of Brazilian stem plant (I forgot its name at the moment) and perhaps java fern.

The goal of the tank is to remove all cycle needs from a tank! Of course the stocking has to stay small bioload, but it should increase lifespan and the characteristics of the stocked animals.

I'll house RCS, Boras briggate (chili boras) and micro crabs or cpos. Which ever is less to ship / purchase.

I like the cpos because they will sell well to others when they reproduce, and I like the crabs because I'm more of a crab person!

Comment on my thread!
Definitely! Although you should add some pothos vine! It sucks ALOT of stuff out of water and air! They actually use it to filter water! Oh and no it is a different kind of snail. Like a spikey MTS.

Well cool! I will look it up! The stemmed plant will be Brazillian Pennywort. It is also a nutrient sucker! I did some research, and I want some!!! How can I get it?

Do you sell cuttings?

What do you have it attached to? Can I see pics? :D

The pothos vine? I ordered it online and I float the roots. They are in the sand now. I will try to get pics tomorrow.

The snail sounds like a clithion corona or horned nerite. If so, be careful--they like to climb out of tanks! (I'm particularly thinking that the pothos hanging out and over the tank edge may be too much of a temptation for it!)

I thought the same, but the OP already said it isn't a horned nerite.

Do you think it'd hurt the pothos to keep it within tank boundaries by trimming it often?

I thought the same, but the OP already said it isn't a horned nerite.

Do you think it'd hurt the pothos to keep it within tank boundaries by trimming it often?
I dont think so. It stays above water level though. The snail is a prambanan snail. I just checked.

Back
Top Bottom