Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well if she doesn't want him back ask her if you can keep him that you fell I love with the little guy.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

+11111 on what everyone else has said. If you're not planning on keeping him, upgrading his tank probably isn't going to do any good because you're sister most likely won't maintain the upgraded tank. He really should be in a minimum of a 5g with plants and hidey holes. I'm guessing that since it's such a small container he also does not have a heater which he also needs, they are tropical fish & do much better with water temps 78-80F. Good luck with him.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks...yeah he has no heater....if shes planning to take him back which I don't think she is...ill give her some advice...hoping she takes it
Old 09-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you get to keep him and decide to put him in a slightly larger home then all of the advice above is worth considering. Any tank around that's just large enough for a small filter and heater would be fine. I keep my betta in a 20 gallon but I also have a 5.5 gallon that I'm thinking of transferring him into. These types of small tanks are very inexpensive to setup. You may even find a kit that'll have everything the little guy would need at Petco, petsmart or walmart.

The one thing I'd like to say about caring for a fish for the first time is to resist the urge to over feed him. He doesn't need much food. Just a few (2-5) flakes or pellets a day is all he needs. Any more could pollute the water he lives in and that's a real threat. If you have any questions about how to setup something for him just ask. We'll all gladly help.

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com