my angelfish laid eggs please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spiketooth

Aquarium Advice FINatic
There laying eggs as i type this. All the other fishs mainly the congo tetras are going nuts. I am afraid the tetras will eat the eggs. What can i do

ForumRunner_20130219_132838.jpg

Angels are usually very good parents, and will try to keep the other fish away.

have these angels ever laid eggs before? If the parents are new, they might end up eating the eggs themselves. if you have another tank, could you take the tetras out?

I have a 40 gal that just cleared out couple days ago. Still set up and running. I just finished cleaning the gravel and everything its going to.be hard to catch these guys. I think its there first time, i got them from another person

Going to remove the other angelfish gourami and tetras. Should cory otos.and ghoalst shrimp be ok in the tank?

I was told to try and remove the eggs and put them in another tank and once they hatch feed them with shrimp brine every time my angels would lay eggs they would eat the non fertilized ones and then eat the fry as soon as they would hatch

I'd remove all of them to be honest if they've been fertilized they'll start hatching soon the solid white ones aren't fertilized

I'd wait till you think theyre done laying before you do anything, are they laying them on your heater or is that a filter tube

Filter tube. I have two filters so i can turn that off, when i remove the other fish. I will still be turning 237gph. Its a 75 gal tank half planted

If I'm not mistaking they're fertilized as they're layed so when they're done you need to put the heater in the other tank and if you have a filter on the other turn it off and just use like a bubble curtain of some sort because if you just remove the other fish it'll be a while before you put them back in,

It looks like the filter tube.

If you do remove the eggs, you need to make sure that there is adequate flow in the tank where the eggs are going, because they can grow fungus without water movement and the water that the eggs go into needs to be the same water that they were laid in. Really it would be easier to move all the fish that could eat the eggs out. haha :p

Ok definitely just switch the filter tube over and if possible keep it submerged in water during the transfer just to be safe you can probably move filter and all over just keep the filter off

The other tank has been running and had fish for two months before the fish was sold. Heater and filter been running sence they been removed. So the 40 gal is good to go,

I was told that a bubble curtain is adequate to keep the water moving , the parents do eat the fry once they hatch or at least mine did, unfortunately I researched all the info I'm giving after the fact :(

If it's their first batch of eggs, they will probably try to eat the eggs. moving them would be safer for the potential wigglers, but if you want to see how the parents react, you could try leaving them in there for a bit. Generally, once angels start to lay eggs, they will do it on a regular basis as long was water conditions are good for the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom