my aquarium dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium 308

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently started my 20 gallon aquarium again. I have a 10 gallon tank that I also plan on starting soon. Ive always had a dream to do a 100 gallon 60Lx18Wx20T. I want to do several schools of different smaller fish (tetras, plattys, neons)10-15 each. and several groups of corys, loaches and octos. I want to do real plants and pick my own driftwood. I got an old dry stump with no bark I plan on using. It has hardened roots and all. Very neat and natural looking. I have just started using real plants. Plan is to grow mature plants over the next year to have to stock my new tank down the road. So far things are going ok with my plants. We are moving in 1 to 1.5 years so I will wait till we finalize the move to start 100 tank. Any suggestions? What is the life span of plants?

the plants can live forever if you propagate them, and I have a dream very similar to yours. You can use live plants in both your current tanks, if you pcik the right types it's pretty cheap and easy to maintain.

It depends on how crazy you want to get with your plants as to what kind of lighting and care they will need. Start thinking about that now so you can budget. If you're going with lower light, low tech, there are so many good options to choose from to have a beautiful tank. If you want to go high light, high tech, then you have also have a ton of options, but you're going to spend a lot of time caring for your plants.

So which camp are you in?

I like your idea of bigger shoals, makes the fish happier and looks better IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It depends on how crazy you want to get with your plants as to what kind of lightingpo and care they will need. Start thinking about that now so you can budget. If you're going with lower light, low tech, there are so many good options to choose from to have a beautiful tank. If you want to go high light, high tech, then you have also have a ton of options, but you're going to spend a lot of time caring for your plants.

So which camp are you in?

I like your idea of bigger shoals, makes the fish happier and looks better IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Im going liwnkight plants. Ya for an acrylic tank with complete setup im looking at about $1200.

I cant wait until I own my own house and can have a huge tank with large angel fish, plants, and awesome driftwood. For now, I am apartment living and cant go above 55 gallons.

Aren't you worried about electricity prices with such a large future tank?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Aren't you worried about electricity prices withObviouslylarge future tank?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My 20 gallon now has a filter that uses 12watts and a 50watt heater. Obviously the heater doesnt run all the time. Not sure how much the air pump uses but i doubt it is much. I would say that my future tank is gonna use probably four times the power. Lights will be the biggest electrical cost which will run about 8hrs a day. I live in indiana and have a 1700sq foot home with temps from 0-100 degrees F. My smallest bill has been $65 and my highest $275 In the 5 years ive been here. The last 3 months I have been running a 240watt heat lamp for my chickens and I didnt really notice a difference. It ran about 12 hrs a day. And I have a wife and kid so someone is always home using something. In all reality I would guess 10-15$ a month. Turning tvs and lights off when not being used would probably save u more money.

Back
Top Bottom