My Aquarium stinks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottb44

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I need some help. I had a 10 gallon tank for a couple of years and never had any problems. I just purchased a 55 gallon tank, treated the water, put the fish from the 10 gallon into it and it was fine for about a day. The second day I had the fish in it, it started stinking. By the third day, it was very rank. Does anyone know the cause and the fix for this?

Thanks,

Scott

Are you missing any fish? It sounds like something is decaying in your tank.

Did you use the filter media from your 10 gallon to start the cycling process in your 55?

All my fish are still alive and my tank came with a filter and media. I am using those.

Was this a used tank, if so did it sit dry for a short time ? Did it sit with no circulation or no heat?

Have you done any testing? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and such?

Did you use gravel and ornaments from your 10-gal in your 55-gal?

gluck

It has not set without circulation or heat and it was brand new with all new stuff.

Thank you for the help. I put the fish in a day after I setup the tank and treated the water. I will follow your advice and I hope it works.

Thanks,

Scott

Carbon can remove bad smells if you replace it frequently...depending on what you use atleast every 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom